First Tank... Help NEEDED!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

( 8 ) eiGhtBaLL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys...

I'm making a TV aquarium, as you may well know... (See DIY section "TV Fish Tanks)... And I have absolutely NO idea what to do!!

After I make my tank, what do I need... What sort of things do I need to incorperate?

I would REALLY appreciate an indepth answer!

Thank you all so much for your time! :D

- Jeremy, Sydney.

Well lets assume we have an empty tank.

Some kind of water conditioner to take out the clorene in your water supply. A heater to keep water temp at 76-78F That looks like it would be 24-25C.

Some kind of filter. Hang on, small canister.

Lighting of some sort usually done by a single florecent tube.

Gravel or some other form of substrate to put in the bottom of the tank. A depth of 1" or so I would say.

Some form of decoration be it plants, or precast aqurium decor.

Is that the kidn of stuff you was looking for?

Hang on filters are pretty easy, and I'll back up d9hp's opion on the bio-wheels. If your making a tv aquarium, hopefully theres room to get a filter in there but if not, you can do other things. Also a good heater, lighting is always good, and whatever else you want.

I'm making a freshwater aquarium.

I want weeds, a few rocks and maybe some driftwood.

I don't know what else to elaborate on.

I'd like to make it tropical, but I don't want it salt. I want to use bright colours n stuff, I'd like to make it as colourful as possible :)

Thankyou all for your help.

fishfreek said:
Well lets assume we have an empty tank.

Some kind of water conditioner to take out the clorene in your water supply. A heater to keep water temp at 76-78F That looks like it would be 24-25C.

Some kind of filter. Hang on, small canister.

Lighting of some sort usually done by a single florecent tube.

Gravel or some other form of substrate to put in the bottom of the tank. A depth of 1" or so I would say.

Some form of decoration be it plants, or precast aqurium decor.

Is that the kidn of stuff you was looking for?

Spot on! Thank you!

If you can find any info on her...

There is a New York City artist by the name of Sue Henshaw, who makes *beautiful* TV tanks! She moulds, hand paints and glazes all the items she's going to put in the tank.

A store near me has one of her tanks, which is a TV with a livingroom inside it. The gravel looks like a carpet, the chairs, tables and mini-TV are all glazed pottery, and there are even "pictures" on the walls! She has one goldfish swimming around inside.

The tank goes for a mere $1500... but it really rocks!

If I'm ever in the area with my camera, I'll take a pic for you and send it over.

Sheesh.

I hope I can find stuff on her! Thankyou!

And I'm not so blind any more, I've done *alot* of research and things are going well.

I'll post pics soon :D

I also agree with everyone, buy books and also explore the internet. Do as much research as possible before adding fish. There is a lot more involved than just adding water, decorations and fish. It can also be quite expensive to start an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom