First Time 30 Gallon Reef Build:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
A little background...I currently have a 36" long x 12" wide x 20" high tank that's current residents are getting upgraded to a 55 gallon. I've gotten conflicting numbers as far as gallonage is concerned, 30 gallons being the smallest so that's what I've decided to consider it to be on the safe side! And I would really love to turn it into a reef:) That being said this is my first SW so all help and input is appreciated. This will probably be a slow and steady build as I have my very first nephew on the way and I have a hard time controlling myself in baby section these days. So now that that's out, I would love some critique on my proposed equipment. Most of these items I've picked up from reading through threads constantly!

So possible 30+ tank

2x aquaclear 70 (1 for a modified refuge)

2x Koralia 750

4 bulb T5 fixture from fishneedit (I'd like to keep a good variety of coral, some higher lighting so suggestions here are valued!)

50lbs PFS

And I'm thinking if just ordering the 45lbs of Fiji standard live rock from LA, the closest place that sells SW other than Petco is 2 hours, so 90% of this will be ordered including stock. Opens the options up anyways!

What I'd love some ideas on are a good refactometer, I have an API for fresh (would it be better just to add a high Ph and get a higher end reef kit?). I've read salifert is a good option but all I saw on a quick google were the individual tests. Is there an all in one? Also I'm looking into am RO/DI unit, nothing hard core. But I live out in the sticks with country water so it's probably a good idea!

Any and all input is appreciated!

The 2 750s might be a tad much. I have one in my 36 gal bowfront that has similar spec to your tank and it is realy all the movement my tank needs...though I do have a 550 in route to me for more circulation behind my rocks.

And glad you have a nephew on the way, it'll force you to go slow :)

It was my understanding that when you were going reef you basically wanted hurricane winds? I'll have to read some more, my first order is gonna be the Pocket Guide for Marine Fish, does anyone have a good reef read suggestion?

And thank you! Liam Charles is getting his first tank for Christmas, and he's not even born!

jespenguin said:
It was my understanding that when you were going reef you basically wanted hurricane winds? I'll have to read some more, my first order is gonna be the Pocket Guide for Marine Fish, does anyone have a good reef read suggestion?

And thank you! Liam Charles is getting his first tank for Christmas, and he's not even born!

Congrats on ur nephew and goodluck w ur sw build. I am the same way. I just. Kind out im gonna be a dad and am in the process of movvng the contents of my 14 gallon biocube to other tanks so I can et up a dwarf seahorse tank in the nursry

Visually stimulating, good for development! And it gives me a whole other house to set up tanks;)

By the way i calculated your tank demensions and it said 37.847.....so it looks like were both workin on a 37g tall build at the same time but im not filling mine until tommorow! X(

carey said:
Hi there. I like your list, looks good. I think you'll be fine with the 2 koralia 750's, I ran 2 in my 29g tank. :)

here is the refractometer that I got

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and here is the cheap ro/di unit. It's not the best out there but its a great deal for the money

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Those both seem perfect! Thanks you:)

Sharklover said:
By the way i calculated your tank demensions and it said 37.847.....so it looks like were both workin on a 37g tall build at the same time but im not filling mine until tommorow! X(

When I googled the dimensions I got everything from 30-38 and everything in between. Filling with buckets/jugs seemed horrible:/ But that's even better now that I know! And I think I read that talls are better for reefs because you can place corals low and high. Does 45lbs sound sufficient for a 37 tall then? Kinda seems on the minimum side...

Not too awful much to update. I picked up the upgraded tank yesterday (55 gallon for 20$!). I plan on painting the back tonight. So really im still in the process of getting everything ready to move stuff around.

I'd still like to know if 45lbs seems like too little for a 37? And also is the 4 bulb structure going to limit my coral options.

I think 45lbs of rock is a good start for a 37g tank, I'd probably aim more for 50-55lbs but you can add base rock anytime you want if you feel the need for more rock. :)

A 4 bulb light fixture should allow you to keep most corals, the more light demanding ones can be placed higher up in the tank.

Just checked reef cleaners out for dry rock, and 50lbs is on sale! So I always see everyone doing a part live part dry rock to cycle. If I cycled with only dry, really my only drawback is time, and I add ammonia and introduce coraline algae correct?

Nix the last post. I'm going Friday to get 50 lbs live rock dirt cheap. The only problem is keeping it live! I'm thinking rubbermaid storage bin, and a cheap PH i have lying around. Does this sound about right? Will I need the heater and light as well?

You would need a heater if the water is going to cold, like if you keep the rock in the garage or something. It should keep for a couple weeks if kept aerated and heated. No lights are needed, who wants the extra algae? LOL

Build paused:( Apparently I need tires, and it's about to be snow time. It's when I plan on spending money that things come up where I need it for something instead! At least it was before hand, not after I spent it all:)

Well I suppose I can still plan:) I'm toying with the idea if doing a tank-bred only stock. This obviously limits my options to very few. It seems clowns, dottybacks, a few gobys, blennies, and some randoms are my choices. So I'm thinking this will probably end up being an understocked tanks. No worries though! I'm also going to attempt all aqua cultured corals, and possible all base rock and deal with a very long cycle. I watched nemo and that's all that I can think of:/ I'll probably post a list of all that I can find that I enjoy, and if someone could make suggestions:) Quite a few of these fish are listed as semi-aggressive so I'll need some help! Also I've been looking at the ORA website and LA, if there are any good sites with more options please let me know!

So I've looked at thatpetplace, LA, ORA farms, and bluezoo aquatics. If anyone still has suggestions, by all means:) But these are what I have found, and would like some suggestions/critique on.

Skunk clown
Maroon Clown
Neon blue goby
Kauderns Cardinal
Orchid Dottyback
Rainfords Goby
Springeri Psuedochromis
Tiger Goby
Striped Blenny
Banded Sleeper Goby
Yellow Assessor
Watchman Goby
Mandarin (couple varieties)

And the only CUC I was able to find were peppermint shrimp, and trochus snails.

Again these are what I like and not what all would go in the tank, and I realize mandarins are insane difficult, and I wouldn't be permitted one for a year or so with limited success rates. But it would probably ordered from ORA if that's anything.

Nice list! I would think twice about a maroon clown though, supposed to be very aggressive. :)

and yep, in my opinion a mandarin is a wait and see kinda fish. I have an ORA blue mandarin who didn't eat prepared when i brought her home. It took over a month to get her fully on frozen food. In the meantime I had pods in my tank so she barely got by.

I was thinking I needed a more aggressive clown if I went for the dottyback, something that can hold his own. Or is my train of thought completely wrong, and I really need something that backs down and runs? Whichever way what is the best clown cause I'm really leaning towards a dottyback, I like the coloring and they plus the clowns seem readily available tank raised.

jespenguin said:
I was thinking I needed a more aggressive clown if I went for the dottyback, something that can hold his own. Or is my train of thought completely wrong, and I really need something that backs down and runs? Whichever way what is the best clown cause I'm really leaning towards a dottyback, I like the coloring and they plus the clowns seem readily available tank raised.

All Clownfish are aggressive so just add the dottyback last and you'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom