First time fish keeper... Whats wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benandjon

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-428623192.jpg

Pete the Neon Tetra

Attachments

• image-146262133.jpg
    image-146262133.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 78
Ooops pressed send.... This is Pete the neon tetra and Ponyo the red minor tetra. Since yesterday they've been 'sleeping' vertically, is this normal?

Definitely not...

What are the parameters in your tank? Ammonia/NitrIte/NitrAte?

How big is the tank?

How long has it been set up for?

Talvari said:
Definitely not...

What are the parameters in your tank? Ammonia/NitrIte/NitrAte?

How big is the tank?

How long has it been set up for?

Ph 6 26c

It's a small tank (12l) but all of the other fish are fine?

Set up a few weeks?

I wouldnt be worried about the Ph... Ph in itself isnt that big of a deal as long as it remains stable. In a new tank, ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAtes are the biggest issues.

I wouldnt hold out too much hope for those two little guys... usually when they start doing stuff like that they dont last too long. It could just be a bad couple of fish, but I would do an immediate 50% water change just in case.

What other fish do you have in there?

Neon tetra, black neon tetra, White cloud mountain minnow (thanks!), another red minor and a kuhli loach?

Benandjon said:
Neon tetra, black neon tetra, White cloud mountain minnow (thanks!), another red minor and a kuhli loach?

Ooops forgot the xray tetra too

Like I said... I would probably do an emergency water change. What has your cleaning schedule been like so far?

And to be perfectly honest with you... 3 gallons/12L is too small for anything but a betta fish, or shrimp. Not to mention your tank is kind of... really over-stocked.

Neon tetras should be in groups of at least 5, and they are very sensitive to ammonia/nitrates. They should be in at least a 10 gallon tank (around 38L). The same is true for the black neon tetra, and I think for the x-ray as well.

White Cloud Mountain Minnows are awesome and really hardy... but they do best in schools. You could probably get away with a five gallon/ 18L tank, but Id still reccommend at least the 10 gallon/38L.

Red Minors/ Serpae Tetra can be really nippy and need large schools to combat aggression. For the larger tetra, I usually suggest at least 20 gallons/ 75L. They *should* be in schools of 8 or more, but usually you can get away with 6 or so.

Kuhli loaches... again, they do best in groups or they tend to hide alot more. You could probably get away with two in a five gallon, but if you want a nice selection of fish with them, you would need a ten gallon or so.

Your fish are likely suffering from ammonia poisoning. Check the stickies in this forum and look for the one about "fish in cycling".

Forgive my ignorance but if it were poisoning wouldn't they all be showing symptoms, as opposed to just 2 of them?

Couldn't it have something more to do with bullying, be more behavioural than medical?

In my experience some fish suffer more quickly than others. I've lost loads through bad water before I knew what I was doing however my babies survived!
The guys in here know their stuff good luck :)

In my experience some fish suffer more quickly than others. I've lost loads through bad water before I knew what I was doing however my babies survived!
The guys in here know their stuff good luck :)

Some fish really are just a lot more sensitive to chemicals in the water. Partially, its the species, but partly the individual fish. Its no different than how some people can smoke, but some people have an asthma attack the second they get a whiff of smoke.

Your kuhli loach needs buddies, at least 5 but more is better. They also require a much larger than than what you have. I have a dozen of them and wouldn't put even 5 in anything smaller than a 30 gallon.

The only thing that can survive in your 3 gallon are some shrimp and snails, in my opinion.

I didn't see where you posted your readings?

+1 on the ammonia poisoning.

First step is to get yourself a liquid test kit and find out what your Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte readings are. Your fish are living in toxic water. Fish don't have to show you that they are living in poison, the test kit is what tells you if they are or not.

Back
Top Bottom