First time freshwater build and aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotsman1000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so first time freshwater tank build for me.

Elos System MIDI 36gallon tank
Planet compact LED light
Fluval 307 filter
Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Aquarium Heater
DOOA CO2 System Kit
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis
Manten stone
Some hornwood
Tropica Aquarium Soil
Sand

Plants:

Peacock moss
Misc bucephalandra's
Bolbitis Heudelotii
Rotala Macrandra Yellow
Rotala Indica
Rotala Wallichii
Rotala Rotundifolia Ceylon Pink
Baby Tears Giant
Staurogyne Repens
Eriocaulon Lineare

No doubt I am going to learn along the way! My layout didn't give me as much planting area as I had thought.

So far slight raising of Ammonia, that's it. Haven't added anything to the water yet.

When to start CO2 dosing? Should I be adding a small does of NPK fertilizer now or wait 3 weeks? Should I stick with the 8 hour lighting cycle or reduce it in the beginning? Anything else I am missing?
IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

CO2 and fertilizers straight away, from day 1. Lighting 4-5 hours per day max, preferably at 50% - 75% until the plants are fully established and you're on a good water change / maintenance routine.

Let the ammonia from the soil rise to cycle the tank.

Are you using 100% RO water? If so, how are you remineralizing it?

Do you have a drop checker? Measuring CO2 from using the pH drop is tough on tanks with active substrate, so you'll likely have to rely on a drop checker.

Thanks! Great advice.

Nope, I don't have a drop checker. Looks like I should get one!
Yes, 100% RO water. I am not remineralizing it yet. I have some "ELOS Supplement of Mineral Salts" - "Rigenera is a supplement containing Calcium and Magnesium to balance and re-mineralise osmosis water. 2 ml (two strokes) per 30 litres." Looks like that will do the job for now?

Thanks! Great advice.

Nope, I don't have a drop checker. Looks like I should get one!
Yes, 100% RO water. I am not remineralizing it yet. I have some "ELOS Supplement of Mineral Salts" - "Rigenera is a supplement containing Calcium and Magnesium to balance and re-mineralise osmosis water. 2 ml (two strokes) per 30 litres." Looks like that will do the job for now?

Looks like (my google search) 1mL / 10 liters will raise gH by 1 degree. You'll need 6mL's per 10 liters of water to achieve 6 degrees of gH. Do you have a break down of what they are recommending / what their numbers are?

Yes... you should be adding Ca and Mg into your RO water.

Well, I just followed their instructions - 1ml dose per 30l water weekly for the first 8 weeks. 136litres = 4.5ml

Enough?

Well, I just followed their instructions - 1ml dose per 30l water weekly for the first 8 weeks. 136litres = 4.5ml

Enough?

I can't say if it's enough because I don't know the Ca or Mg content in their product.

Ideally, you'll want 30ppm Ca and 10-15ppm of Mg for remineralized RO water.

That's an awesome looking tank. What are you planning on stocking with?

That's an awesome looking tank. What are you planning on stocking with?

Thanks! Not sure yet honestly. Just learning. Either just some cleanup crew, or perhaps some glass catfish. Really more about the aquascape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Not sure yet honestly. Just learning. Either just some cleanup crew, or perhaps some glass catfish. Really more about the aquascape.

Any suggestions?

I get that. I had both my 100g and my 75g planted and running before I even started thinking about stocking.

I know nothing about glass catfish other than they look cool lol. Personally, I'm partial to cory cats, nano fish, and shrimp-- they're there for activity, but you still mostly notice the aquascape.

Oh, and Malaysian Trumpet Snails for planted tanks. I swear by them for keeping the substrate aerated and mulm well distributed.

Back
Top Bottom