First time with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys first time ever I've had Ich in one of my tanks , fortunately there aren't many fish there 4mollies who seem unaffected 6 corys and a bn Pleco. It's one of my albino corys who has it, I blame myself as I bought some kuhli loaches from the pet shop that had supposedly just come out of quarantine so I thought they were safe ...WRONG! ..not only did the kuhli loaches die they must of had Ich cos there's nowhere else it could come from :( gutted gutted gutted... So I'm slowly raising the temp to 86 and I've added an air stone..
Do I keep it at 86 for 2 weeks or until I see no sign of the horrid thing..
How many water changes should I do weekly (I usually do 40% min pw)
How often should I vac the sand substrate ?
It's an 80 litre tank,

Hi guys first time ever I've had Ich in one of my tanks , fortunately there aren't many fish there 4mollies who seem unaffected 6 corys and a bn Pleco. It's one of my albino corys who has it, I blame myself as I bought some kuhli loaches from the pet shop that had supposedly just come out of quarantine so I thought they were safe ...WRONG! ..not only did the kuhli loaches die they must of had Ich cos there's nowhere else it could come from :( gutted gutted gutted... So I'm slowly raising the temp to 86 and I've added an air stone..
Do I keep it at 86 for 2 weeks or until I see no sign of the horrid thing..
How many water changes should I do weekly (I usually do 40% min pw)
How often should I vac the sand substrate ?
It's an 80 litre tank,

Keep it at 86 for 10 days after last sign if you can.

I've never done a lot as can only really do a decent pwc on weekends but I've tried to double to a twice weekly. The gravel vacs and pwc are meant to remove ich in the water column so any extra you do should help.

Thanks .. I've done a 20litre water change today and cleaned the sand. So i think i will do this every 2 days .. Is 20 litres enough ? Or should i do 30 .. I use ro water so its a bit more time consuming !

30 would be better as the clean water helps prevent secondary infections but really I've found it is the heat doing the job. If time is short than 20 should be fine.

Thanks.. Its hard to do more than 20l as its a household ro machine and only produces a max of 10 lph and gets used by us and my other tanks ;) i will try 30l tomorrow .Friday is my day for 50% pwc on my 200.. So its gonna be a busy day..

No sign of Ich, daily water changes of 25litres (were a pain but necessary) I think it's gone :) so today I start to lower the temp, do I need to wash everything that was in the tank or will it be ok now .. The poor little albino cory sadly died this morning ... No Ich on him . The corys seem to struggle with the warmer water so I bet they are looking forward to the temp going back down ;)

Back
Top Bottom