First try at saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buck1728

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. First attempt at saltwater after years of fresh. Going with a 21 long. Wanted to go bigger, but this is all the wife would agree to & well... (Happy wife, happy life) This is where we're at so far. View attachment 262768
RO/DI unit coming this weekend. Getting sand & power heads this weekend. Ordering LED lights this weekend as well. Y'all have been an extremely invaluable resource thus far, but I'm sure I need much more help. Wanna do this right.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

hmm, couldn't get the attachment to open, but sounds like you are putting together a nice project. Best of luck.

You planned any stocking yet? You'll be somewhat limited with a 21, but still plenty of options. Is this going to be reef?

Try this again. For sure a reef. I'm more excite about coral than fish. This will be my 5 year daughter's tank. She wants Nemo & Marlin for sure. Maybe a purple firefish. That'll be it fish wise. 3 max, just don't know the 3rd yet. Buying powerheads, heaters, lights tonight (got taxes). Hope to get everything wet this week. Everyone is anxious to get this party started.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422738256.337388.jpg

Looking good !!! If you want another something small I would suggest a sand sifting goby as it will be visible quite often and help in some minor tank maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Make sure you have a good top on their if you want the firefish. They will eventually try to jump out

I like the Diamond Watchman, but 1) is my tank large enough for one? 2) Will it throw sand all over my eventual coral? Would like for the third fish to have a big personality or do something unique, like sift, to hold my daughters interest so this could become "our" hobby.

Oh yeah Bribo, going with the clear netting. I don't want a "Suicide Squad". By the way, your tank is a bit of an inspiration.

Oh yeah Bribo, going with the clear netting. I don't want a "Suicide Squad". By the way, your tank is a bit of an inspiration.

Haha thanks buck! Glad to hear about the screen, the pure firefish are gorgeous.

Got the basics ordered. This is an expensive hobby. Lol.

Best of luck. I have been grabbing my supplies little here and there for my 30g. I think a sand sifter would be a great contrast to the fish you have selected. Though from all my research I think the clown would be best as last fish introduced. Help a little with territory fighting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the Diamond Watchman, but 1) is my tank large enough for one? 2) Will it throw sand all over my eventual coral? Would like for the third fish to have a big personality or do something unique, like sift, to hold my daughters interest so this could become "our" hobby.

1 It may not be large enough as it lists 30g as a minimum. Kind of borderline IMO but with a good maintenance schedule it could be fine.
2 I cannot confirm or deny that it will or won't, or with any of the others that fit in a 20g, but I can say the large one at my LFS doesn't cover any of the corals in the tank it resides in. I think it's just the case that the sand is heavy enough and they don't necessarily "carry" it anywhere.

The orange marked and two spot are listed for 20g tanks if that helps.

Thanks Ravden. I'll keep that in mind.

We may have found a winner with the decorated goby.

Days to make it pure. Now let's make it salty. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346766.840289.jpg

Finally. Still a little cloudy, but what do y'all think? Powerheads ok where they are?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423422708.899775.jpg

Thanks. Threw a shrimp in. Ready to get this party started. What test kits should I get? Hear so many complaints about API.

I use the API kits for basic stuff like nitrates, ph, and ammonia and never had a problem with them. But I use a Red Sea kit to measure the different elements needed for corals like calcium and magnesium

Ok. API for now & add on when I get some coral. Thank you.

I also use the API kits for the basics and the Red Sea reef foundation kit for the others. I also started keeping a log (simple DIY Excel spreadsheet) so I could help myself better understand how things interact in comparison to each other.

Back
Top Bottom