Firts day! *dance*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinili

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so tested my water today and I'm pretty sure its finished cycling. Over a week ago Ammonia dropped to zero. Nitrites spiked and steadly dropped, now it's at zero. I have a 5mg/l reading for nitrates. Seems to me that my tank is cycled. Now I'm left wondering what do I do now? Do I wait a few more days just to see if all is ok? Can I get fish now, if so how many can I put in at once? Should I do a big water change? I got through the cycling and now I'm lost haha!

wait a couple of days to make sure, do a water change, and then what fish do you want and i'll help you on what to add first also what size tank?

Kinili said:
Ok so tested my water today and I'm pretty sure its finished cycling. Over a week ago Ammonia dropped to zero. Nitrites spiked and steadly dropped, now it's at zero. I have a 5mg/l reading for nitrates. Seems to me that my tank is cycled. Now I'm left wondering what do I do now? Do I wait a few more days just to see if all is ok? Can I get fish now, if so how many can I put in at once? Should I do a big water change? I got through the cycling and now I'm lost haha!

Sounds like you're in good shape :). I'd personally test the bio-filter a couple more times to insure it can drop 3-4ppm of ammonia down to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours. After that, turn down your heater and perform a huge water change to get nitrAtes below 20. As for stocking and other info, check out the FAQ section in the link in my signature. Congrats :).

Bring the Ammo up one more time and make sure within 24hours it can completely cycle from ammo-nitrItes-nitrAtes. Do a PWC if the nitrAtes get too high, and keep feeding ammo every now and then if you don't plan on getting fish right away so your bacteria does not starve. Hope that helps!

wait a couple of days to make sure, do a water change, and then what fish do you want and i'll help you on what to add first also what size tank?

Stocking is my next issue. Its a 29gal tank and I'm looking at cichlids. I know most won't work but I like Rams. I just want something colorful and entertaining, that is easyish to care for. What is your opinion?

bolivian rams or cockatoo apistos (what i have and love)
id personally do a pair of dwarf cichlids a small-mid sized schooling fish and maybe some hatchets

Back
Top Bottom