Fish acting strange?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That Fish kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just did a water change and then put a black background on the tank. Now my kuhli loaches and otos are swimming at the top of the tank. Is the background stressing them out?

I just did a water change and then put a black background on the tank. Now my kuhli loaches and otos are swimming at the top of the tank. Is the background stressing them out?

Are they just swimming at the top or are they gasping for air? Could be the water change. Did you treat water? Temp match? Do anything different? Please don't be offended by my questions. I have to ask.

Don't worry I understand. Same temp, treated the water with prime as always. Just a routine water change. They aren't gasping for air just swimming near the top.

I have black kuhlis and otos. Usually when I change something (as simple as moving a plant or rock) they go nuts. Up and down and circles around the tank. It takes about a half hour then they calm down.

Those are all good questions asked by Mr. Convict -- and what I would have started out with asking, as well...

1. Was dechlorinator used? (You answered YES -- Seachem Prime, which is excellent)
2. Were there wild temperature fluxuations with the new water? (You answered NO, which is good)

I'd love to see a pic of your tank with the new black background -- do you have any? We're contemplating either a "planted up" background depicting an underwater river scene, or complete black, for our goldfish tank so I'm trying to get some ideas of what tanks look like...:thanks:

Well I did move some driftwood around so that's probably it. Im currently trying out a background for my tank and it's just black. It makes a huge difference! I used construction paper to see how it looks. I would recommend black because its less likely to fade.I will get pics tomorrow.

Well I did move some driftwood around so that's probably it. Im currently trying out a background for my tank and it's just black. It makes a huge difference! I used construction paper to see how it looks. I would recommend black because its less likely to fade.I will get pics tomorrow.

Thanks; looking forward to seeing them!

Without the background:

With background:

Attachments

• image-3246110980.jpg
    image-3246110980.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1761566340.jpg
    image-1761566340.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 45
  • image-359075057.jpg
    image-359075057.jpg