Fish aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I woke up this morning to find one of my lemon tetras had their tail chewed off and also their dorsal fin, he wasn't dead but couldn't barely swim I don't have a separate tank to put him in so I felt it was best to euthanize him but I don't know what fish would do it as I was told all my fish are peaceful

5 candy cane tetras, now 4 lemon tetras, 2 Buenos Aires tetras (big), 1 Turquoise rainbow (big) , BN Pleco and 3 clown loaches( juvenile) , please advise so I can eliminate the jerk/Jerks that harmed my other fish.

Your correct...they are considered peaceful species. Some of the schools are low so its hard to say. Could be tetras or rainbow. Best thing you can do is monitor the situation. You could go to the trouble of trying to rearrange the tank....may help may not. May not be an issue at all...may have been the weakest fish in group. Some times they are weeded out.

Po...

Adding some floating plants will help, by providing hiding places for the bullied fish. Anacharis, Water sprite, Hornwort and Pennywort are all good floaters and good, natural water filters. Just drop individual stems into the tank. They'll grow quickly floating close to the light source. It helps if you have a larger tank, so bullied fish can avoid more aggressive species. The smallest tank I keep is 45 gallons.

B

My Buenos Aires always chase the other fish, I have quite a few plants they can hide in not floating but example by big flame leaf sword, amazon sword, sagitaria (not dwarf)

Also his tail was totally gone for future reference would it of grown back?

Yes I know my schools are low im waiting for my lfs to get more rainbows in and I really don't care for the Buenos Aires, they even ram my hand when I do my maintenence, that and they are huge

Would not think the clown loaches or pleco. I have some of both and have never tried to attack any other fish. Not saying not possible but never had an issue with those two kinds of fish.

Back
Top Bottom