Fish are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daniel5455

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a stock bio cube 29 and I have about 20 - 30 lbs of Bali Rock no bio balls filled the back chamber with lr. I have a skimmer. The live stock consists of currently a yellow tail damsel, diamond goby, cleaner wrasse, one BTA and some soft coral, hermit crabs and turbo snails. Tank is about 2 months old I have lost 2 yellow tangs 2 clowns and 1 yellow tail damsel water test fine. The fish that died never shown any signs of. Sikness one day fine the next dead any suggestions

daniel5455 said:
Have a stock bio cube 29 and I have about 20 - 30 lbs of Bali Rock no bio balls filled the back chamber with lr. I have a skimmer. The live stock consists of currently a yellow tail damsel, diamond goby, cleaner wrasse, one BTA and some soft coral, hermit crabs and turbo snails. Tank is about 2 months old I have lost 2 yellow tangs 2 clowns and 1 yellow tail damsel water test fine. The fish that died never shown any signs of. Sikness one day fine the next dead any suggestions

First of all, did you cycle your tank, and what are the current ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? That is way too much livestock to add in a two month period. Yellow tanks, and tangs in general, do not belong in a tank of that size. They should be in at least 70g, probably much more. BTAs are very sensitive and should only be added to an established tank, set up for 6mo if not a year. You need to slow down and research before adding any more livestock.

--Adeeb

Ammonia nitrate nitrite phospase are all 0 but i know that tangs are recommended to be in a bigger tank but mine were small and i think they woul last longer than 2 weeks

daniel5455 said:
Ammonia nitrate nitrite phospase are all 0 but i know that tangs are recommended to be in a bigger tank but mine were small and i think they woul last longer than 2 weeks

WAY too much way to fast. A tang has no place in that tank even if its small, they need room to swim. Why get something like a tang if you just have to get rid of it after a few months? If you really wanted a tang you should give it the tank it needs, if that's not an option come to terms with the fact that you can't have one. I would say don't add anything else and let things settle down.

Aside from the tang issue...It's very possible that you just stressed the fish to death with too much change in too little time. Or the sudden increase in bioload made the ammonia spike to high just long enough to kill the fish. How is your BTA doing - is it healthy. I've heard they can release some toxins too, but I don't have one, so I don't know. I'd say just give it a while, keep up with the water changes, and don't add anything else lol (y)

Definitely slow down and don't add any more livestock, fish or coral until you figure out what the problem is. Even then, wait a few months. Patience is key in saltyland. What test kit are you using. If its strips, make sure to get a liquid kit. Many things could have killed your fish. Stress is an obvious one, or improper acclimation. If you had all those fish at the same time, stress was likely to be a large factor.

--Adeeb

I use Aquarium pharm. test kits. this is the same thing that hapened the first time i had a tang and a clown at the same time i acclimate them for about three hrs or more till the salinity is the fish store water equals mine. The LFS water was at 1.22 mine is at 1.26 so im not sure if im too high but my other fish are alive. The other thing that happeened the same is that when the tang dies shortly after the clown will die. Again water levels are perfect i even confirmed the test from the Lfs testing my water as well

Its as the others have said,your beneficial bacteria hasn't been able to keep up with the large and quick bio load in the tank,slow down.Clowns are very hardy fish but amm and trite spikes will kill them.

Back
Top Bottom