Fish are fighting and now one looks sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeuroRootkit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20g tank with 6 tetras, a red platy, and a blue dwarf gourami. The red platy has been annoying the gourami for some time (I think it is trying to school with the gourami and the gourami wants nothing to do with it) and now the gourami has started to attack the red platy. Unfortunately the red platy is now starting to look sick and has some damage.

Now I'm not sure what to do as I only have one tank. Do I try to exchange the gourami or replace it? Do I remove the red platy before it dies and fouls up the tank? The gourami doesn't bother the tetras.

Tough one

Do you have tupperware? A clean bucket? A vase? Anything can become a hospital tank in a pinch. Perhaps a Breeder net? Just remember whatever you choose to put him in, you must change the water daily! Perhaps adding a few fellow Platies in the main tank. once you figure out if you can save him. You could return Mr. g, but If the platy's injuries are severe. You may not have a choice in who stays. Remember we are their keepers, and you have to know when he is just suffering. Do you have any medications for them? What kind of injuries? (ripped fins, open wounds, etc).

Thanks yes I have a bucket, I'll transfer the red platy to that. I don't have any medications right now. I just talked to petsmart and they said they would exchange the gourami so I might not have to hospitalize the platy. I can probably save him if I do something soon. The injuries look like nips or open wounds.

The pic isn't great but the silver spot is a wound I believe and he has several other nics on him.

pic: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104701&stc=1&d=1341536155

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 63
Okay I was able to exchange the gourami for a yellow platy. Maybe one day I'll put another gourami in there but I'll definitely wait until the fish heals.

Thanks to hear

Wonderful to hear, the way to make sure he heals is clean water! If that doesn't improve aquarium salt ( if you don't have live plants) does wonders for me and its cheap! Make sure you get the stuff labeled aquarium salt and not marine salt. WAY different and don't let the Pet store people tell you different.

Back
Top Bottom