Fish are sick with fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am really confused.

I've been trying to cycle a 90 gal tank for months. Finally after days of cleaning the filter, I have 0 ammonia readings but no nitrites? Now the fish are full of fungus.

I am changing the water twice a day and it seems when I cleaned the filter (not the hoses) all the fish started to get sick. I turned the filter off to clean it and when I turned it back on, all this white gook came out and splashed all over the fish. The filter water was BLACK. I only rinsed the filter pads in fish water and emptied the water. I am at my wits end. I don't know what else to do.

My tank crashed back in Nov. I changed filters in April. I have about 30-40 african cichlid lake malawi fish.

I keep testing the water but get 0 ammonia and nitrites but the fish are visibly stressed. They stand at the top of the tank (not gluping) or just stand in one spot. They aren't swimming like they ususally do. When the tank was dirty they were all over the place! What gives:nono:

What's your nitrate and PH readings? What filtration do you have and what's the temp of the tank? Do you have an air stone? If you've had the tank for a while and don't have nitrites but nitrates it should be cycled (althogh you mentioned you changed filters in APril? All of the media too? If so that could have thrown it into a cycle but your ammonia and nitrites are 0 so not sure). Did you add anything new in terms of fish? Do you notice any aggression?

I just checked ammonia and it's 0, PH is 7.0 which is low. I keep the temp at 81 degrees. I have one air stone and 3 sponge air stones so 4 total. No, don't have nitrates either. Tested all 3 yesterday all readings were at 0. I changed filters when I had nitrites but they disappeared about a few days. I have two filters running. The 406 fluval (switched) and a 160 gal Eheim Pro 3 that was the really dirty one. I have since cleaned the spray hoses so no more gook is coming out. I have been changing the water twice daily plus cleaning the gravel. I haven't fed them since yesterday. I lost 3 fish and I am lost. This is the same thing that happened when I removed the FX5. I had a 0 ammonia reading but the white fungus started and fish died so I got scared and removed the filter. Each time I transferred all the media. I added fungus cure this morning and haven't fed them. They look ok (the water is green so I can't tell). Oh, I ran home after the deaths :( and took 6 large fish to the pet store. So at least I can save them by being in good water and lighten the load in my tank. Not sure if I should remove more fish...rather remove them then watch them die. I have about 30 or so small ones and maybe 3 large ones. Please help.

The ammonia is back! I cleaned the Eheim again and when I went to restart the hose shot out that gook again. Looks like it's from the hoses...looking to purchase another set. Too long to clean. Does the gook hurt the fish? They seem to be swimming nicely without issue. I have exactly 25 fish now and still having ammonia issues. Wondering if I need to remove more or if I should chuck the filter if the hoses are the issue.

Back
Top Bottom