Fish cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sravindranath

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 30 gallon tank 8 days now 4 parrot fish , 2 gouramis , my fish are not well all parrots have brown color in fins 2 of them not swimming did 15percent water change yesterday no result all the parrots lying on the floor please help don't want to see my fish dying worried to see them st this stage

Welcome to AA!

It is not a good idea to cycle your tank with gouramis or parrots. The reason why they aren't doing well is because they probably have ammonia poisoning, and fin and/or tail rot(this explains the brown color.) Most members recommend fishless cycling. The fish are most likely going to die. If you wanted to do a fish-in cycle, you need a hardy fish like zebra danios.

You can learn all about that here.
I finding the link.

:welcome: to AA.

Sounds like your fish are suffering from ammo poisoning. You need to do 50% PWC's ASAP IMO and use Seachem Prime to help with ammo temporarily.
Then read the link below.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Sounds like at this point the tank is overstocked ... I'm not familiar with Parrots, but I know they get big and I'm assuming have large bio-loads.
Do you have a test kit ..... Preferably the API test master ... don't even bother using strips... they're unreliable.

For us to help you we need to know the parameters for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates ... though I'm sure this early on ... Ammo is your main enemy.
Again 50% PWC's!

To soon for that many fish. It takes time to start up a tank. One fish at a time. For the first couple of weeks the perameters are like a rollercoster only some fish can take this. A good pet store will have them marked as starter fish. Also get a good book to help you get started. I have been doing this a long time and I still go back and read things over again. My books look like they whent thow war. There held together with duck tap. I still mess up don't fell bad. Use your friends the net to help as well.

Welcome to AA!
You've added way too many fish at a time. The fish are going to die, eventually, because your tank has not cycled so the fish have ammonia poisoning. If in the future you're going to get some fish, stick to some on the smaller side, parrotfish get too big and have shortened lifespans due to many health problems from interbreeding and are sometimes infertile.

well first of all one parrot is going to almost stock you in a 30 gallon. so your gonna have to find homes for the rest. you should run out and get an api master kit, some seachem prime, and some aquarium salt (not for saltwater). your gonna wanna test every day right when you wake up and right before you go to sleep and do a water change if it is over ammo-.25 nitrites-.25 nitrates-20 50% will take away half so you might have to do several 50% water changes with those fish. try to take most if not all back. you're going to lose lots of fish but we will get you through it. add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons to help them breath and heal. you can also pick up some stress coat and melafix to help the heeling and stress. good luck!

Thanks

Thank u very much all my aquarium buddies based on ur valuable advice, I replaced the water with 50% and added some salt , today is my 10th day hope to get thru this cycling phase without further damage

Back
Top Bottom