fish died in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how common is it to lose a fish in QT.my clown goby died this morning. i have had my clown goby and clown fish in QT for about 10 days. they were both eating and looking good. the ick on the goby cleared up ( the clown didnt have signs ) i have been treating with cupramine and doing 2 gallon water changes daily on a 10g. my ammonia wont come down. it is at 1.0 ( maybe a little lower). the goby was very small. maybe he couldnt handle the ammonia? maybe the ick got him? any thoughts?

steve r

( the clown didnt have signs ) i have been treating with cupramine and doing 2 gallon water changes daily on a 10g. my ammonia wont come down. it is at 1.0 ( maybe a little lower). the goby
Are you monitoring the dosage with the seachem test kit?

my ammonia wont come down. it is at 1.0
That could be the culprit, but with the water changes they can usually handle.
Sorry for your loss :(
The bright side is with only 1 fish in the system, the ammonia should come down.

yes i am monitoring the dosage. my water change water is dosed to the correct level
( i think .5mg per liter? ) i am not sure with out the box in front of me. and i also check my copper in the QT every other day. it has stayed very constant at the correct level. maybe the goby was weakened from the ick or just an unhealthy fish. he is the one that brought the ick to my tank.

i learned a valuable lesson, unfortunately at the cost of a life . at least it wont happen again, as i will QT all new fish.

hopefully the clown is hardy enough to make it. he seems like a tough guy. or at least acts like one

steve r

I had a gumdrop goby in QT once. Died w/in 2 or 3 days. I thought it might have been because he had more of a slime coat vs. scales - and that those types of fish didn't do well with copper. Not sure if that is right.

Just wonderin... Could it be?

Back
Top Bottom