Fish Dieing Overnight. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalManiac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I Have A Ten Gallon Tank And a Heater, Digital Thermometer (79.5 Degrees In My Tank), And Small Tropical Fish. The Largest Fish I Have Is A Ghost Catfish (Got It Today, It's Dieing Right Now, and Maybe 3") Then I Have A Few Other Fish Like A Sunburst Guppy, Red Swordtail Wag, And A Mickey Mouse Fish (Red And Yellow)
Plus A 2" Yellow Fish, Not Sure Of The Name.

I Had Another Set Of Fish Not Two Days Ago, 2 Green Glofish, One Yellow, And Another Sunburst Guppy. The Green Glofish Got sucked Into My Filter And Died. The Other Two Dug Under the Gravel In My Tank And Died!

I Got My Water Tested At Petsmart, Before And After I Added Water Conditioner, They Said Nothing Was Wrong At All! Now My 2" Yellow Fish Is Swimming Kinda Slanted With Its Head To The Top, Just Like My Ghost Catfish Did Before He Died. The Wag And Guppy Are Doing Fine, The Mickey Mouse Is Currently Hiding In A Decoration (Its Like A Coral Reef With A Hole In It For fish To Circle In And Out Of) And Won't Come Out, The Petsmart Employee Said It Might Be Pregnant. And My Ghost Catfish Isn't Transparent Anymore, Almost Solid White (Which Means It Is Dieing Correct?) And Is Laying On The Bottom Of The Tank. I Haven't Had This Set For More Than Five Hours! The Other Set With GloFish And The Guppy Died Overnight.

Its Not The Water, I Cleaned The Tank Thoroughly Before Letting It Reheat For a Day To 80 Degrees, Then Insert The Fish.

I Think Its My Filter, Although It Did Come With My Tank It Might Be To Big Because It Says Up To 20 Gallon Filter. The Filter Is Aqueon's QuietFlow 10.

So, What Do You Think Is Wrong?

Well I Have A Ten Gallon Tank And a Heater, Digital Thermometer (79.5 Degrees In My Tank), And Small Tropical Fish. The Largest Fish I Have Is A Ghost Catfish (Got It Today, It's Dieing Right Now, and Maybe 3") Then I Have A Few Other Fish Like A Sunburst Guppy, Red Swordtail Wag, And A Mickey Mouse Fish (Red And Yellow)
Plus A 2" Yellow Fish, Not Sure Of The Name.

I Had Another Set Of Fish Not Two Days Ago, 2 Green Glofish, One Yellow, And Another Sunburst Guppy. The Green Glofish Got sucked Into My Filter And Died. The Other Two Dug Under the Gravel In My Tank And Died!

One thing to aid in keeping smaller fish from being sucked into the filter intake is using a piece of pantyhose to cover the intake valve.. otherwise you can buy various sponges that your petsmart should have on hand in the filter section. I personally use a smaller aquaclear foam sponge on mine. I just sort of pry apart the middle to form a hole and then cover up the bottom half of the intake valve.

I Got My Water Tested At Petsmart, Before And After I Added Water Conditioner, They Said Nothing Was Wrong At All! Now My 2" Yellow Fish Is Swimming Kinda Slanted With Its Head To The Top, Just Like My Ghost Catfish Did Before He Died. The Wag And Guppy Are Doing Fine, The Mickey Mouse Is Currently Hiding In A Decoration (Its Like A Coral Reef With A Hole In It For fish To Circle In And Out Of) And Won't Come Out, The Petsmart Employee Said It Might Be Pregnant. And My Ghost Catfish Isn't Transparent Anymore, Almost Solid White (Which Means It Is Dieing Correct?) And Is Laying On The Bottom Of The Tank. I Haven't Had This Set For More Than Five Hours! The Other Set With GloFish And The Guppy Died Overnight.

Its Not The Water, I Cleaned The Tank Thoroughly Before Letting It Reheat For a Day To 80 Degrees, Then Insert The Fish.

I Think Its My Filter, Although It Did Come With My Tank It Might Be To Big Because It Says Up To 20 Gallon Filter. The Filter Is Aqueon's QuietFlow 10.

So, What Do You Think Is Wrong?

Okay, I can't really garner from your post whether or not you actually cycled the tank.

I don't mean just turning it on and getting the temp right or letting the filter run. A lot of people use a method called fishless cycling(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/23/1/Tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html), though I know a majority of the people I help at work do not have the patience or desire to try it out.

When they tested your water, had there already been fish in the tank? How long had they been in the tank? When you say you cleaned the tank really well, what did that consist of?

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think.. grunge in a fish tank is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes completely cleaning everything will cause your tank to cycle again which is very harmful to your fishy residents.

Please keep us posted. Hopefully things will work out.

Reactions: HN1
It is your filter... because it is obvious the filter is not cycled properly.

Read the article that has been advised.

And avoid Petco for fish advice of any kind, it will only bring grief to you and the fish.

Back
Top Bottom