Fish: Disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNOY

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. One morning, my Banggai Cardinal just disappeared. My tank has a top cover. What could have happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you tell us more about the tank, how long its been running and current parameters? How long have you had the fish?
I don't like being the bad news guy, which sometimes happens way too often, but these cardinals are always out in the open 'floaters'. If it is missing I would highly suspect it to be dead.

Sniper, do you think my anemone might have swallowed it?

I've had fish disappear in the past if it didn't jump out or get sucked up into he sump , it could have went behind the rocks and died , I've seen many people tear apart there tanks to find the body with no luck, 90% of the time if a fish dies behind a rock the clean up crew crabs snails worms ect will take care of it almost instantly ,
if I can't find a fish I assume 1 of 3 things , I don't stress over it any more just let nature take it's course ,
I refuse to rip apart my tank to find a stupid fish that most likely died and was eaten ,
because it's not worth the head ach ,
I have bought fish online to have one or 2 die off once in a while , the vendors want a pict of dead fish , I explain I'm not ripping my reef apart for a fish and take a picture of the tank showing why , if you deal with a good vendor they will understand , most of the vendors know me by name as I deal with them a lot over the years , I spend way too much money for them to deny me a credit for a dead fish , and a fish isn't worth loosing a good customer over , as a few vendors found out .
sorry I went off track a little :)

The anemone we keep have awful capture abilities. A healthy fish won't get caught by an anemone.
This is most likely simply a fish that died and was managed by the clean up crew. It is what we have them for to begin with.

Banggais have nematocyst immunity like anemonefishes, I'm with everyone else on the crew cleaning up his body ?

I had a Yellowhead Jawfish disappear under a rock. It wasn't weird for him to go under for a few days and then show himself again for food but after about a week I got suspicious and when I lifted the rock to verify, sure enough there was no body to be found. Now sure how it disappeared but I imagine some of the clean up crew got under there and cleaned him up.

I had a filefish disappear in my nano and overnight the bristle worms and hermits made it like it was never in the tank...

Yeah, I just found a big bristle worm where I had lost mine and instantly realized this is who polished him off when he passed away.

Back
Top Bottom