Fish food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

Does anyone have any recommendations for fish food for fancy goldfish? I have bought some pellets and flakes from my local pet store but I am sure this food is making my fish turn orange! I think it has colour enhancers in it but the only colour it is enhancing is the gold tones! Not good for my gorgeous pure white fish that are no longer pure white... :-(

Are there any fish foods out there that will enhance the fish's natural colours?

Thanks in advance!

:fish2:

I gave my white betta color enhancing food it turned red lol

Try feeding it plant based food, I'd throw some Anacharis in there till you find a good subsittue, No Gold white fish. I'd like to see a picture, poor thing. You could also ask the breeder what he feeds to keep them white.

I feed my 6"+ fancy's with a variety of sinking pellets, none are actually listed as a color food. Spirulina algae is a natural color enhancer so you have to read the ingredients. Also feeding cooked, shelled peas, and other veggies give much needed fiber and keep them from getting constipated. With sinking pellets its easy to see how much they are actually eating and gives them the opportunity to forage. The reason behind feeding sinking food is that it keeps fancy heavy bodied goldies from gulping too much air as they do when surface feeding. One of our orando's is a pure white lemon head and have never had him turn any other color. There has to be some type of color enhancor ingredients in those foods to turn him colors. If you switch to something else the coloring should go back to white. I've used Pro-gold and Hikari sinking pellets. I know Pro-gold has spirilina in it but I've never had it change the white body fish to any color. I also have heard of young goldies that are white maturing and turning into their adult color, don't know alot about that but saw it in young comets years ago in one of our ponds.

Thanks for your comments and advice everyone. I know that fish do change colour with age but the fact that it just seems to be gold creeping on more and more really makes me think it is food related. I have just ordered some Hikari pellets for fancy goldfish so hopefully that will do the trick. It seems to be afood that a lot of people recommend.

One of my pure white fish was actually a panda moor. I know black is one of the most unstable colours but before I knew it all the black had gone and she is now pure white! So gorgeous. The other white fish has always been pure white, a lovely little ranchu but recently all of her tail has now turned orange. The common, ryukin and even my red cap oranda are now getting VERY orange fins!

Fingers crossed a diet of veggies and hikari pellets restore them back to their original colours!

Thanks all ! :)

Back
Top Bottom