Fish for 3g pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

While researching livestock for the 3g jbj picotope I'm setting up, I've come across a lot of mixed opinions about keeping fish in such a small tank. I only want any fish I get to 'thrive not survive', so I'm trying to find out what a good plan would be. I know that keeping fish in such a small tank means an even higher degree of scrupulousness in the maintenance procedures. I also know that in some cases keeping fish is just not an option because of tank size/care required etc. I am already planning on keeping a few soft corals in my tank, plus I have a partial cuc.

Particularly, I'm interested in the red scooter blenny. I did my homework before starting my first saltwater tank, but with regard to fish I haven't given much thought. Only recently did I find out about some who keep fish in 3 gallons of water. I certainly wouldn't want to stress out or "dwarf" any animal. Please give me honest opinions, as I would like to know whether or not fish could be a possibility for this tank, or if I should wait until I get a bigger one. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

While researching livestock for the 3g jbj picotope I'm setting up, I've come across a lot of mixed opinions about keeping fish in such a small tank. I only want any fish I get to 'thrive not survive', so I'm trying to find out what a good plan would be. I know that keeping fish in such a small tank means an even higher degree of scrupulousness in the maintenance procedures. I also know that in some cases keeping fish is just not an option because of tank size/care required etc. I am already planning on keeping a few soft corals in my tank, plus I have a partial cuc.

Particularly, I'm interested in the red scooter blenny. I did my homework before starting my first saltwater tank, but with regard to fish I haven't given much thought. Only recently did I find out about some who keep fish in 3 gallons of water. I certainly wouldn't want to stress out or "dwarf" any animal. Please give me honest opinions, as I would like to know whether or not fish could be a possibility for this tank, or if I should wait until I get a bigger one. Thanks!

Definitely no on the scooter for that small of a tank. They only eat copepods and would decimate that tank of them all in a day. Plus they get to big. Honestly no fish can go in a 3 gallon tank. A 3g can still be cool with interesting inverts but definitely no fish. Make coral and small inverts the main focus.

I agree, no fish for a 3g. If you have to have to have one then i would say a clown goby and thats it. but itd be better suited for inverts like stated above.

Thanks guys, sounds to me like the blenny/dragonet would be too big for the tank and too picky of an eater. Glad to know! I think I'll just get some cool inverts and corals for now.

The next invert for the tank is prob going to be a Pom Pom crab.

Back
Top Bottom