Fish getting sucked in filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello there. I currently have a 56 gal community tank running on a fluval filter. I love it because It keeps my tank very clean and is very quiet.

However, I have guppies and They always seem to get sucked to the bars of the filter. Usually I catch them and turn the filter off fast enough to swim away, but today and a few times before I've come home from class to find a dead guppy stuck to the filter. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

A sponge over the intake will work quite well. It'll disperse the suction so that fish won't get stuck to it.

How powerful is the filter? Normally only fry and sick fish get sucked into the strainer. The only fish I have had sucked into the strainer of my 2600l/h canister were tiny bristlenose fry. As Mebbid has already said, a piece of sponge solves that problem.

A piece of vinyl outdoor door screening is beneficial and cheap. put it over the intake and hold in place with a rubber band. If it gets clogged or dirty, just throw it away and cut another piece. A common sponge filter is also a great idea.

I'm using panty hose ends on mine til I can get a sponge it's working by I have to clean it every few days by rinsing it

Back
Top Bottom