Fish id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faadi404

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have started a new tank which is 80 gallon and i have git these two as a gift. I have no idea what they are nor the person who gave me.
So can anyone please id them and suggest possible tank mates for them.
1488721260699.jpg

They look like young Convict Cichlids to me. THey get to be 4 inches long and need a 20 gallon tank. They are also very aggressive so I wouldn't put anything in with them except other cichlids.

So any other kind of cichlids would do fine with them?
I want this tank to be just cichlids.

On other form i have been told i can put oscar with them.

Oscars can very greatly in temperament. I had one that tolerated everything and would not eat other fish preferring to eat snails. He was an oddity. But everyone else I have known who had Oscars had issues with bullying and fights and casualties. If you have your heart set on an Oscar and their awesome personality just be prepared to observe and rehome some other fish if issues pop up.

Good advice.
So far i have two tanks so rehoming is not a issue.
Just wanted to confirm if i can add any kind of cichlids in with those two.

The larger fish looks like it could be a young convict, but the smaller looks like a young Kenyi cichlid. Convicts are C Amer cichlids, Kenyi are African cichlids from Lake Malawi. Convicts are known for their aggressiveness while breeding, but Kenyi is aggressive most of the time. IMO, it's best to not mix cichlids from different areas, especially continents. I would choose which one you like best, rehome the other, and try to match tank mates to the one you keep. If your Kenyi is male, it will eventually turn yellow, just so you're aware.
Although, it won't hurt to keep both until they get a bit larger so you can make a positive ID. Aggressiveness won't get bad until they're at least partly grown, and it's entirely possible that I ID'd them incorrectly.

Last edited:
I started out with a fire mouth, jack dempsy and the Oscar. As they all grew the fire mouth was the first one to go, he chased and intimidated everyone. Back to the store since it happened as soon as I brought them home. They were all about the same size then. The Dempsey and Oscar stayed together for a few months but Walter the Oscar was growing much faster and did far less destruction than the Dempsey. So I rehomed Jack. Walter reigned supreme until he got so big I rehomed him. If I had known then how much damage I had done to him by keeping him in that small tank I would never have purchased any of them. No one really talked about stunting back 30yrs ago.

45 or 60. Hex. Under gravel filter.

It was about 2' wide and high. I don't even see that size anymore.

I'm pretty sure both of those are some sort of African cichlid

Back
Top Bottom