Fish-in cycling help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuggetthefishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I got my fish Nugget, the workers at the pet store did not mention cycling at all. I never did, and my fish only suffered dropsy (which he's recovering from, look at my recent threads for info about that), but had no other problems (knock on wood).
I've had him for a while (since July), and hadn't had the time to cycle the tank properly. I want him to have a nice, happy home, so I need help.
I've heard of fish-in cycling, and I want to know how to do everything specifically. I don't quite know what to do, so could any of you help me?
Thank y'all so much!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tanks probably cycled by now if you've had him since July. You need an API master test kit so we can see what your parameters are.

I'm sure that by now the tank is cycled. It doesn't take this long. So you're fine. You didn't mention tank size or if you plan to get more fish etc, just make sure you add them only 1-2 at a time if you plan to add more fish.

still should own a test kit, it's just good fishkeeping :)

Thank you all! I'll check the parameters soon and update you! :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello nugg...

Briefly, here are the steps for cycling a tank with fish. Keep in mind the water keeping hobby isn't an exact science, so there are many ways to succeed. This is the way I cycled my 30 G. You use hardy fish. Rasboras, female Guppies, Zebra Danios, White Clouds, or Platys, any will be fine in somewhat marginal water conditions. Set up the tank and drop some stems of Anacharis, Hornwort or Pennywort. The more plants, the better. These help stabilize the water by using some of the ammonia and nitrite from dissolved fish wastes. Use 3 to 4 fish for every 10 gallons of tank volume. Get a water testing kit and test daily for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water with pure, treated tap water. This will keep the water relatively safe for the fish and the growing bacteria will have some nitrogen for steady growth. Just test every day and change the water if needed. When several daily tests show no traces of either ammonia or nitrite, your tank is cycled. My 30 G cycled in roughly 30 days.

Pretty simple, really.

B

Back
Top Bottom