Fish is M.I.A.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oddness87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So one of my swordtails Is missing. I had 2 fatalities this morning of other swordtails from unknown cause which I'm currently investigating. My main concern right now is I am missing one of my fish.

It definitely did not jump out of the tank as I have searched the floor. I also checked in and under all of my decor while completing a Pwc earlier. I have also checked the filter just in case but I do not see him. Could he have buried himself in the send before dying?

Any thoughts?

Tank is 45gallon
All parameters are normal and steady.
Recently finished a fish less cycle last week and this is my first batch of fish.

+1 on the fish eating eachother. once dead he is just free game. the only part you will find is a TINY back bone, but most of the time it gets burried or sucked into the filter. sorry buddy.

Fish will eat dead fish pretty readily. What all is in your tank?

:agree:

If the fish has vanished without a trace and you've checked all the places it could be, he likely got eaten. The only exception is when the missing fish is a suckermouth fish of some sort, as they tend to latch on and not let go even when decorations get moved. But with a swordtail their hiding options are far fewer...

If you had a HOB filter I'd suggest checking under the lip of the filter outflow, but if you checked during a PWC that should have dropped the water enough that whatever might have been there would have come loose and become visible.

Thanks for the advice,

This is what I thought happened but I just found it interesting the other two dead fish were untouched. Probably because the other fish were full.

My tank only consists of 7 other swordtails. I don't feel too bad about the 3 losses, The LFS talked me into getting more swordtails than I should have for my tank. I think I might get some tetras to go fill the gap, they are smaller and have less bioload than the swordtails.

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom