Fish keep ending up in the filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenhat06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I recently un-stocked my fish tank and then re-stocked it. My previous fish had been dying because they were all community fish mixed in with a larger Red Tail Shark. I have a 30 gallon tank and a Marineland Filter (I believe it is 200 gph, but not positive. I can check if necessary). Anyways, I took every single fish remaining out of the tank and decided to start fresh, except leaving the Clown Pleco in there (roughly 2" long). I bought an electric blue ram, as well as 8 Rummynose Tetras. That is it. This was two days ago. Yesterday, I only counted 7; when I unplugged the filter, out popped one of the little guys, curled up like it had been stuck in there. Then today when I got back from work, I only counted 6. Again, curled up from being sucked by the filter. I have NO idea what is causing this?! My most recent water levels using API MK were:
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia 0
pH 7.4 - 7.6

Any ideas?? It is my understanding that as long as the fish are intrinsically healthy, there is no reason for them to be getting naturally sucked up by the filter? I mean, the tubing for the filter doesn't have any sort of "protection" on the end to prevent it sucking up the fish and only allow water through, but again, I am under the impression this would be unnecessary if the fish are healthy. I ordered a thing of Seatech Primer and it arrives tomorrow. What type of water changes and addition of Primer do you recommend? Or what to do!? I can't keep losing these guys, I need a stable tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom