Fish less cycles and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverBlaze85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have done both a fish less cycle, and a planted tank, just not at the same time. Looking into it, I was seeing a lot of “no need to cycle if you are doing a planted tank”.

It’s a 10 gallon, with a male betta, possibly some shrimp.

Which would you recommend, cycle or no?

Also, what plants would you recommend?

Tia!

Plant it from day one.
Get the plants growing and filling in nicely over a month or so.
Slowly add fish over a few months.

Start with shrimp, let them populate, then add the betta.

Plant selection depends on 1) your goals and 2) your equipment + maintenance schedule.

Plant it from day one.
Get the plants growing and filling in nicely over a month or so.
Slowly add fish over a few months.

Start with shrimp, let them populate, then add the betta.

Plant selection depends on 1) your goals and 2) your equipment + maintenance schedule.

Are you saying plant, and don’t cycle, or plant AND cycle? I’m just trying to clarify. :)

Are you saying plant, and don’t cycle, or plant AND cycle? I’m just trying to clarify. :)

old, dying plant mass will provide an ammonia source. You can dose 1-2ppm weekly if you want after a water change.

Get the plants growing really well first. By the time this happens the tank should have enough bacteria to sustain a small, light fish load.

Plant before a cycle as Z stated. It doesn't matter if the tank is not cycled for plants. Just don't load the tank up on fish. If you wanted you could dose ammonia to the tank and cycle it with the plants in and when you are cycled then add fish.

Back
Top Bottom