Fish losing color after light is off all night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipsqueakkk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tetras and rasboras lose their color after the tank light is off all night. Then after two hours they have their color back. Should I be doing something different. They won't eat in the morning either.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The color thing is perfectly normal :)

The eating thing is a bit strange. Are they acting ok other than that

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know tetra's always look a bit dull when the lights turn on. After an hour they should color up.
But not eating in the morning? That's a first!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Yeah it's odd, they are like zombies in the morning so slow and dull , I have to wait till afternoon till I can feed them

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Does the temperature drop at night? That would surely slow their metabolism!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Mine do the exact same. Wake up less color and won't eat. Zombies for a bit.

Its normal for them to discolor overnight but the not eating in the morning sounds like the temp in the tank is dropping at night. Is the tank heated?

So feed them at night. Its normal, do you want to eat right after waking up when you're still sluggish?

My tank is always a constant 78 degrees. And they just won't eat in the morning. I think it's normal honestly. They're sleepy.

Are you feeding them immediately after turning on the lights. If so probably why they aren't eating. They are still in sleep mode. Try feeding like 30 min after the light is on.

I think it's just that turning the light on abruptly scares them, and they color up once they are happy.

Is the room completely dark and then the tank lights go on suddenly? Maybe try brightening the room gradually?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom