Fish not eating right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a fancy fantail goldfish and when I feed them he will go up to the top eat the go back up spit out the food and then eat more and he doesn't do it with all the food he its but a large amount of It though. So if any ideas if why they would do that would be great.

Thanks, Sean

Can you please post some more information so we can better help you? Tank size? Stocking? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Type of tests being used (liquid or strips)? Type of food/brand being fed? Thanks!

Last edited:
Tank size 10 gal stocking with baby moor and baby pleco. Ammonia and nitrates not sure I don't have a test kit. And the others haven't been doing this I'm not sure my he is.

Tank size 10 gal stocking with baby moor and baby pleco. Ammonia and nitrates not sure I don't have a test kit. And the others haven't been doing this I'm not sure my he is.

Eventually they will be to big for a 10g. Especially if its a common pleco. They get like 2 feet long, and if they don't its because they are stunted from being in a tank that's to small and they will eventually die a painful premature death via squashed organs. one fancy goldfish maaaybe on its own maaaaybe if you are doing super frequent water changes as gold fishy are messy as all get out and keeping the water quality good to ward off illness will require at least 2 decent sized water changes a week. Sinking pellets pre soaked in tank water may be the way to go, I've read that gold fish have finicky bellys and eating dry food that then absorbs water and expands can be bad for them so maybe try that? Hope that can help but there are super experienced gold fish keepers on here who would probably be more help.

Thanks for the reply and I'm planning to get rid of the pleco soon. And the situation is still odd ill ask my friend who is an expert at goldfish if his did this and hopefully all goes well. Thanks

Thanks for the reply and I'm planning to get rid of the pleco soon. And the situation is still odd ill ask my friend who is an expert at goldfish if his did this and hopefully all goes well. Thanks

What are you feeding? I have fish that will frequently spit some food out and go for more...

Goldfish are piggies. Once in rare while you may see them spit out a piece of food but this is not common. A goldfish spitting food out constantly is indicative of ammonia poisoning.

With an overstocked tank and no means to test your water, I would suggest changing 50+% of the water right now, another 50+% in an hour. Continue to change 50+% daily until you can address your stocking situation. Make sure the new water is properly conditioned and temperature matched.

I would also switch to a sinking goldfish pellet plus daily veggies. Flakes and floating foods can aggravate buoyancy issues that fancies are already prone to having. Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom