fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thominil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,
I was wondering if i could stick 2 gbr's in with like 8 neon tetras 3 dalmation mollies, 3 red wag platy's, 2 guppys, and 1 SAE. My Ph is 7.6 is this about right? thanks

Well, the GBRs if they pair up will get more aggressive when they lay, and this can be a problem with the SAE. Additionally, any fry produced by your mollies and platies would likely become snack food. The tetras are no issue, though.

As far as keeping your platy population in check the GBRs will do a wonderful job. I only had my two GBRs for about two weeks before they died (diseased from the start). They managed to take care of my one guppy's drop. Ate all but one fry, and I'm sure they would have ate it.. if they found it in the java moss. I'd say they got 29 out of 30 or so fry that dropped.

GBRs are tough to keep unless you have a good quality fish to begin with. All the ones I see at the LFS now are the exact same dull colors that I had. Its a shame since they are a beautiful fish.

I'm thinking about passing up the gbr's I've read other threads where people say lfs gbr's are poor quality and are "given" hormones to help them color faster and die fairly quickly. I was reading your thread also and somebody said that you're better off getting them from a private breeder.

I may get them later but not until I learn more about keeping stable coditions. Plus im redoin my 29g soon. So gettin em' now would probly be a huge mistake.....

On another condition I'm bettin that last fry was pretty terified lol

Back
Top Bottom