fish stress craziness...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have found a new definition of fish stress; it's the stress that your fish cause you when you have to do something for their own good and they don't feel cooperative...

The Background...

I have a 55 gal ARLC tank (the inhabitants are listed in my signature). The 2 socolofi started to take over the tank. Chasing all the others away, trying to hog all the food, pinning three quarters of the population into one third of the tank. Eventually I saw some fin nipping as well. At first I thought they they might be a mating pair, but from everything I know about fish sexing, they both look male and they haven't been courting either. Some of the other fish were showing signs of stress from the socolofi's behavior. Last night I decided that it was time for them to go.

The Story...

I'm a novice in netting. Trying to net a very fast and unwilling subject in a rocky tank is still outside of my abilities right now. At first I played the patience game. I put the net on the side of the tank where the soco's claimed and started to feed them like I normally do at that time. Normally all the fish show up in a frenzy. This time would start to approach the food, see the net or otherwise sense something was wrong and back off. Suddenly they were bottom feeders as the flakes started to sink. Luckily, I didn't feed them as much as I normally do.

For my next trick I put some "emerald entree" (algae, brine shrimp, krill, etc) into my net hoping they would smell it and come close enough for me to scoop up. Again they would approach and then run away.

After that failure, I tried the "turn off the lights, wait a few minutes for them to chill out and then hunt them with a flashlight. My girlfriend is on the other side of my tank with the flashlight and I am going after them with the net. I couldn't help but hum the theme song to "Cops" (bad boys, bad boys, what ya gonna do) while trying to catch them.

Eventually I said f it. Took the hood off of the one side and pulled out all the terrain on that side and basically tried to flush them out from one side of the tank into the empty one using a net and a clear square container. After removing a little more terrain I finally caught one in the net. I sentence you to the 10 gal QT tank. Now for his accomplice.

This ended up in me having to remove terrain from the other side of the tank as at this point he was trying to run with the flock instead of being the neighborhood bully.

At some point, my girlfriend says "Where's the orange one?" I say "What do mean, where's the orange one?" A head count followed. The orange one was missing and there was no place to hide in the tank. I'm looking at all the terrain sitting out on trash bags on the floor and I start with the driftwood. I pick it up, glance at a known hiding place and put it back into the tank. Then I go to the next piece. There are only three total pieces that he could have been in; the rest being rock that just sits on other rock. Two of the pieces are resin cave works. The only problem I have with them is that they have a hole in them that grants access to the infrastructure of the terrain. The other two pieces go into the tank. I'm crapping my pants at this point. We wait about a minute. Nothing. I pick up the wood a bit and give a little shake. Nothing. I move onto one of the resin pieces and do the same. Out swims my red zebra. That lucky sob was outside of my tank for at least 5 minutes, probably more. He had to have been in a little pool of water still in the terrain. That's the only explanation I can see. His gills were a little darker than normal. But he was swimming around fine.

Finally, I cath the other soco and put him into the qt tank. I put most of the terrain into the tank. I rearranged most of it to balance it out more than it was before. I also kept most of my plants out.

The socolofi weren't too happy about thier situation, but I'm taking them to the lfs after work today. They'll get over it.

All said, this little adventure took about an hour and a half to complete. I was so spent by the time it was over.

Today...

Everybody seems to be doing fine. The red zebra was chillin in his little internal resin terrain cave (which I want to close off so his fat butt doesn't get stuck in someday). The socolofi were even doing well in the qt tank. Nobody frenzied for food when I fed them a little this morning, but I kind of expected that. I'm sure they will scrounge all day like they normally do. My girlfriend is home today. She will be keeping an eye on them and call me if anything happens. Ugh.

That same thing happened with my Burmese loach. The little bugger was stuck in his favorite driftwood. I FREAKED OUT! He's my favorite fish, heh.

Next time, get yourself a 2 liter soda bottle and cut off the top half below the neck. Take the top piece and cut off the neck to create an opening that your largest fish can just fit into, assuming it is too large to fit into the regular opening of a 2 liter soda bottle. Invert the top inside the bottom and silicone seal the two pieces together (think crab trap, if you have ever seen one). Then put a delicious morsel inside, possibly with a rock to sink it, and the fish will be able to swim inside the narrow funnel-like neck, but once they are in there they can't swim back out. Fish trap for heavily planted or heavily rock-ed tanks. (I have both, and this trap works like a charm).

TankGirl, do you have a picture of this trap? How do you get the fish out? How do you catch the right fish? I would love to be able to move fish with less stress. I saw a trap in the drsfostersmith catalog that looked pretty cool, but soda bottles are way cheaper.

I read this thread just as I was preparing to pull 2 of my Yellow Labs. I went straight to plan 'F', pulled out all the rocks and plants and still had quite an adventure catching those 2 Labs. By the time those two were out all the others were pretty nervous.

I do not have a picture, and though I could draw it, I am not computer savvy enough to post my drawing!!

I would just cut off the top of the whole thing after trapping was done, since at least in my case it is once in a blue moon when I do such a thing, and the trap is basically disposable since the parts are so easy to come by! When I was trapping molly fry, I used a 16-ounce soda bottle and did not glue it together at all, just cut off the top and shoved the top inside the bottom. It stayed together fine. They are so tiny they go right in, and they are so busy eating they don't notice they are being lifted out!

Nice!

It is actually the same thing I have used for a garden slug trap. Make one from a small soda bottle but place it bottom down in a hole deep enough that the funnel is level with the ground. Fill it with beer, leave it for a few days and toss it in the trash.

Don't look inside it though, trust me.

Enki said:
Don't look inside it though, trust me.

I would have to look. I will look at the sickest, strangest, most messed up things out of curiosity. I always says curiosity will one day kill me.

I had thought about trying something like that (I had read about it in an earlier post) but I didn't have materials at hand and felt that time was of the essence.

I think I'm going to save the next couple 2 liter bottles I get and go ahead and make a couple traps. I have plenty of room under my stand to store them. That way I'll be prepared for when I have to do it again.

On a side note, the socolofi are now living at the lfs. Everybody in the tank is doing very, very well. Even the sickly yellow lab who is now challenging my red zebra for food...

Sounds a little like my last mantis catching experience, I saw one of the lil buggers in a small piece of LR so I said to my wife "get the net quick I just saw a mantis" and quick put on the neoprene gloves I keep next to the 55SW.

I reached in and grabbed the piece of LR. Well the little guy started zooming around the rock next to my hand, making me nervous that he was gonna snap me (neoprene or not), and then jumped off, and believe it or not we actually netted him in the corner of the tank where he landed and got confused.

So then I run the net into the office with the shrimp riding in the net, and quickly flipped the net into the 10g mantis tank.

But lo and behold, he pulled a david mantisfield on me and was NOT in the net, and I was looking all over and Jeanene goes "AAACK, he's on the floor right next to you!!!" and sure enough he was squirming around on the carpet. Not sure how that happened.

(My wife does NOT like mantis shrimp anyway).

SO I scoooooped him back into the net carefully and dropped him into his 10g tank where he resides today, snap, snap, snap.

Back
Top Bottom