Fish Suggestions for a Newbie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoticeMeGenki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to start two new fresh water aquariums and I need some assistance with picking out fish for them. These will be my first aquariums so I'll need some fish that I as a beginner will be able to handle.

I have some criteria:

1. Attractive. Not necessarily brightly colored but just nice to look at. Of course colorful isn't a bad thing either.

2. Population control. I'm not interested in breeding so either the fry get eaten or the species must be comfortable being the only of it's species in the tank or in a school of all the same gender.

3. Ok with sand substrate. Sand is the substrate I plan on using so they'll have to be ok with that. I don't like gravel, stone, or bare bottom tanks.

4. In a group or all alone. I can love one loner fish just fine, but a community tank does sound nice. If you do suggest community fish than please suggest some other species that will be comfortable sharing a tank with them.

5. Safe for snails. I plan to house some Nerite snails in the tanks too so I'd like them to be safe.

The Tank Sizes:
50 gallon (48" wide & 12.5" front to back)
20 gallon (30" wide & 12" front to back)

I also have a 10 gallon but I plan to keep that one empty.

Hiya

Is it tropical, cold water or marine your after? ( Marine doesn't usually start people off but just in case) :)

I would suggest a couple of schools (6+fish) of tetras or danios. You can get lots of color, most are hardy and interesting. And there are lots of choices of species. Barbs are another possibility but some can be nippy. Don't worry about breeding in a community tank - the eggs or fry will almost always be eaten. You'd have a hard time putting together a school of the same sex anyway. Virtually all fish are happier and healthier in schools and make for a more attractive tank, I think.
Rainbowfish are also nice but some can get fairly large.

Would suggest pool filter sand or black diamond blasting media for substrate, both cheap and easy to get at pool store or farm store.

For fish, I prefer livebearers, but have not been overrun yet in 1 1/2 yrs (55 & 75 gallon planted tanks).

Consider corycats for a community tank, but would also work with species only tank ( cichlids, gourami, etc.), loads of fun to watch.

Very good point, flchamp89.
Always research before adding fish, most of us learned the hard way.
Best to match stock to conditions in tank also.

Back
Top Bottom