Fish suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HB87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I have a 20 gallon long tank empty and i am fairly new to aquariums and types of fish but i thought about cycling it and putting a couple fish in there. I have a 55 gallon with my Red Devil Cichlid which is my only fish and only fish tank. I love my fish but she cant have any tank mates and i want to have a small community of fish (if possible) so my question is does anyone have suggestions for fish that could live comfortably in that size tank??? I dont mind if they are semi-aggressive or non-aggressive. I just dont want to overcrowd the tank or get the wrong fish for the tank size. Thanks guys :)

personally, in a 20 id look at shelly cichlids (lamprologus occelatus), cockatoo cichlids (apistogramma agasizzi i think) or pseudocrenilabrus varieties. but i adore mouthbrooders!!
you could do a guppy or molly tank to produce feeders for the Devil.
or a dwarf angel tank?
or go planted and do like a river scene with tetra species everywhere.
or dwarf gourami? ooo the options!!

yeah i vote for the first three i put lol :) xx

Some of the smaller rainbow fish would work, I have threadfins and RCS in my 20 gal long, with some easy low light plants and some artificial plants and driftwood.

Okay... How many fish total should i put in there? i want to have tank decorations and sand (since i cant with my Red Devil Lol) and i want colorful fish. I was drawn to my RD for that reason :) and can these type of fish mentioned be found at petsmart or pet warehouse? Those are the only pet stores around here.

I havent really looked at any fish since i cant put any in with my RD. I just want suggestions for a small community or couple of fish that can live happily in the 20g. I have no clue which fish can be in which tank so i dont want to just go buy some fish and then them be too crowded.

There are also rams (German or Bolivian), dwarf gouramis, dwarf puffers, zebra/leopard danios, rummy-nose tetras, penguin tetras, corys, bristle-nose pleco, serpae tetras, kuhli loaches, a keyhole cichlid, apistos, silver-tip tetras, red-eyed tetras, lemon tetras, Pristells tetras, cardinals, neons, black neons, pitbull plecos, zebra pleco, clown pleco, harlequin rasbora, and otos to name a few species. Just throwing out some things so you can get a bunch of ideas, research them, and see if there is something you like. :) Not all these species are compatable with each other, or even with other species at all. They are all available at chain stores near me, so thats why I named these guys. :)
You would have space for probaly 2 schools plus a centerpiece fish and a bottom feeder to so. Its really hard to say exactly how many fish you could fit because that depends wildly on the species you pick. :)

I also want fish that are hardy and easy to take care of. I dont want anything like goldfish though. I want something tropical or at least colorful and fun to watch...

Ohhh wow... Thank you for all the names :) im going to take a look online at all the fish you have both named and see which i like. You guys are awesome btw! :)

How hard is it to have live plants? are there certian types that are easy to care for? And whats required for them?

I think the best thing for you to do is visit a LFS or two, check out thr freshwater fish, make a list of what you like. Then take a day or two and research the fish you like and what will live comforable in your size tank. :) I went with threadfin rainbows because I liked them and they would be fine in my 20 long. And because they are a little differnt from the norm. Have fun and take your time deciding! :)

HB87 said:
How hard is it to have live plants? are there certian types that are easy to care for? And whats required for them?

I have low light plants, mostly java fern and java moss and wisteria. My first planted tank so I can't be to much help! for a light I bought a G E standard daylight bulb. Probably not the best choice but the wisteria is growing.

You shouldn't have to much trouble finding the fish mention or you ask them to order them for you. :)

ocean said:
I have low light plants, mostly java fern and java moss and wisteria. My first planted tank so I can't be to much help! for a light I bought a G E standard daylight bulb. Probably not the best choice but the wisteria is growing.

You shouldn't have to much trouble finding the fish mention or you ask them to order them for you. :)

Okay thank you :) i want small schools of fish. I want it to be leveled (not sure if thats the proper term lol) where there are fish that are bottom, middle and top swimmers in the tank... Does that make any sense?? Im sorry.. Im not too hip on aquarium terms LOL :)

Okay thank you :) i want small schools of fish. I want it to be leveled (not sure if thats the proper term lol) where there are fish that are bottom, middle and top swimmers in the tank... Does that make any sense?? Im sorry.. Im not too hip on aquarium terms LOL :)
That makes sense. I suggest you look into some of the species I listed out for you in my other post. Also, you were advised to go to your lfs and see what fish they have and then research those to see if they would be good for the tank you have. Remember, research is your friend while stocking. :)

A couple examples of that would be marble hatchets (top) neon tetras (mid) and cories (bottom). Or Glo fish/zebra danios (top) glowlight tetras (mid) and kuhli loaches (bottom). :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Im gonna go down monday and have a look at some fish :) and buy some tank decorations and such.

Back
Top Bottom