Fish survivability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening all!

I've had my newly cycled 75g tank up and running for about 2 months now. The tank is moderately planted, has lava rock and eco complete substrate. Just recently, I've had a fish pass on from sunken belly and a Ich outbreak. I originally treated the tank with API general cure then when I noticed ich, I used Ich-x and have been for about 10 days. I've used up 1 full bottle per directions along with raising the tank from 77 to 82(done gradually) and gravel vac. It appears that the Ich has been remedied. I've lowered the tank back down to 77 degrees and have been keeping an eye on the fish.

What has me puzzled is over the course of the 10 days while treating for Ich, I've lost either a neon tetra or cardinal tetra each day, sometimes 2 a day. Then tonight, I noticed that one of my rubbernose pleco wasn't moving, appeared to turn white-ish and he has passed as well. Thats the third pleco I've lost in the past month (2 originally, got 2 more and now 1 more, leaving one left).

I've checked my h20 almost daily while dosing and all parameters appear normal other than the PH being around 8-8.2ppm. The PH comes out of my tap at around 7.6ppm and that's before I aerate it for a day. I've added some sphagnum moss in a mesh bag in my HOB and also in a bag hanging in my tank to try and naturally lower the PH without using chemicals. It's also been a chore to regulate the H20 since I have a whole house water softener installed so I constantly have to bypass the softener to get some hardened water into my tank.

I'm at a loss as to why my fish have been dying.

Sorry for the long rant. If anyone has advice or insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Your pH is too high for your tetras. Trying to alter the pH is a fool’s errand. I have tried many times, but it never really works out. You have good water parameters for keeping African cichlids. I wish I had your parameters! Change the type of fish to ones that fit the natural parameters and I’m sure you’ll have more luck!

Back
Top Bottom