Fish TB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwilson24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

I have a 120 gallon tank stocked with 1 blood parrot, 3 green severums, 2 rainbow cichlids, 3 platys and a bristlenose pleco.

Temp is around 78 and water parameters are all clear.

One of the platys seems to have a curved spine - from google, it appears this may be TB. I am just not sure what to do, I do not have a space for a quarantine tank.

Will it spread to the other fish?

I attach two photos - sorry the water is a tad cloudy, I did a water change and it always is a bit cloudy for a few hours after.

Thanks,

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 14
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 13
There are many causes of bent spines. Genetics, nutrient deficiencies, old age, internal parasites and bacterial infection including TB. Short of microscopic examination i dont think its possible to confirm its TB.

Are you seeing any other symptoms to suggest its actually TB? Loss of scales, loss of color, lesions on the body?

Im not aware that TB is treatable, but fish can live with it. If one fish has it then you should assume they all have it.

Also be aware that fish TB is transferable to humans.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...pine-will-i-have-to-euthanize-all-344430.html

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/fishkeeping-news/should-you-be-worried-about-fish-tb/

Thanks Aiken - there is definitely a loss of colour. I have not noticed loss of scales, but the fish seems a bit ragged looking.

I have not noticed any lesions on the platy, but the severums and cichlids have had bumps - I assumed they were swimming into things (they seem to be more skittish).

What is one supposed to do? I did see it is transferrable which is a tad stressful.

Without knowing for sure what it is i cant really suggest a way forward. Depends how risk averse you are.

Euthanise all the fish on the assumption its TB and that its already spread to other fish? Thoroughly decontaminate your tank and start over? This way you can move on.

Just let it be on the assumption that its genetics or old age? Get on with things and dont worry about an unlikely outcome? Ive got fish with bent spines that have lived beyond a normal full life span.

Middle option would be to quarantine or euthanise the fish in question. Hope its not spread to other fish yet or isnt TB. Observe the rest of your fish, dont add anything new or transfer anything from this tank to another tank until you are reasonably sure no other fish are infected.

Personally, i would just let it be and hope for the best. Its a livebearer and these genetic issues are very common in livebearers. But im more willing to take risks with my own fish than someone else's.

Okay, that is good to now. I really appreciate the help!!

Im really not helping much, just offering options.

A thought. Is there anyway TB could have been introduced into the tank? Any new additions? TB cant spontaniously appear.

The pleco was added but that was in July. I do not think the back issues started until about a month-six weeks ago. I thought it was nothing until the fish started looking a bit rough, which is where I am at today.

Back
Top Bottom