fish with Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 little swordtails with ick. Its still very small patches so I was hoping I could treat it without any expensive chemicals? Any help would be great

Heat it up

If you turn the heat up it will speed up the parasites. This helps because once they reach a certain point in their reproduction cycle they drop to the tank substrate and that is the only point when they can be killed. After you turn the tanks temp up dose an anti ich Medicine as the packaging says and after a week or two the fish will hopefully get better! Good luck!:)

No meds needed. Gradually turn the heat up to 86-88f. Add extra aeration because warm water holds less oxygen. Do water changes every other day or so along with good gravel vacs. The ich may become worse before it starts to improve, so dont panic. Maintain the heat for one week AFTER the last spot is gone then gradually reduce it to normal. Thats it!

Okay thank you! But if it doesn't stop then I should get the medicine

You shouldnt need meds- heat alone will treat it as long as you are positive its ich and not something else.

Okay. I just love my fish though. I've been raising these 2 since they were born they are my first babies! Haha

This worked! Thanks guys! Very helpful. Love this app. Definetly just saved me 20 bucks thanks again

Back
Top Bottom