Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you just plant a ton of the parva it should grow pretty good in your setup..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. Maybe 3-4 pots of it would suffice? Downoi would cover 3/4 of the foreground, and the Parva could cover the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419388986.664779.jpg

You've got to be kidding me! Their population is rising like mad. I'm going to try the lettuce trick tonight just to see if it works. I've seen others on various internet sites that have had a little success with it in terms of reducing the population.

You're feeding to much, just suck them out with a siphon.. easy targets right there..

You're feeding to much, just suck them out with a siphon.. easy targets right there..

I'll siphon as many as I can get tomorrow. By the way, have you ever kept Pogostemon stellatus before? I fell in love with how it looked by looking at some internet pictures of it. I also think Pogostemon erectus looks cool as well.

I think my water conditions are not friendly for pond snails. I see 2-3 egg clusters per week but very few pond snails. It's been like that for about 5 months. Might be a calcium deficiency because the MTS shells have erosion.
I have had pogo erectus since the summer. Very slow start because it was grown emersed and there was about a 90% die off during the transition to submersed. But that 10% has grown to numerous stalks that have been trimmed and replanted.
Not familiar with P. stellatus but the reds look very attractive.

Your snail problem is most likely due to over feeding. Try feeding less, the snails are eating what the fish miss.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

That's exactly what I thought after I saw that second snail explosion (2 in 3 days...??). I'll definitely cut down on the food.

I think my water conditions are not friendly for pond snails. I see 2-3 egg clusters per week but very few pond snails. It's been like that for about 5 months. Might be a calcium deficiency because the MTS shells have erosion.
I have had pogo erectus since the summer. Very slow start because it was grown emersed and there was about a 90% die off during the transition to submersed. But that 10% has grown to numerous stalks that have been trimmed and replanted.
Not familiar with P. stellatus but the reds look very attractive.

My water is hard, so that could be to the snails' liking. I'll just have to fight them with Assassin Snails, clever tricks, and proper feeding (no overfeeding).

Pogostemon erectus seems to be very cool. I think it'd contrast nicely with Cyperus helferi or Rotala rotundifolia. Pogo stellatus, from what I've read, is harder to take care of; although, it sure does look nice.

This plant might be a little bit easier to take care of than Pogo stellatus: Limnophila hippuridoides

According to Tropica, it is of medium difficultly. Here is a picture of it from their website:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419402141.428967.jpg

I have the stellatus in my tank. It's a very difficult plant to grow. Needs to be under incredibly high light to get its coloration. Only now am I starting to get any real colour out of it. I think the ADA substrate system is helping

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+ one on the coloration. The stems also become quite thick and do not want to stay in the substrate. Can be beautiful but not my favorite.

Not a great picture but this is the colour im starting to get

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419436259.299071.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419436291.933151.jpg

I have the stellatus in my tank. It's a very difficult plant to grow. Needs to be under incredibly high light to get its coloration. Only now am I starting to get any real colour out of it. I think the ADA substrate system is helping

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have high light, but I wouldn't put myself in the "high" high light category. Maybe this plant wouldn't be for me quite yet. I'll try Pogo erectus though; it seems to be a nice plant once it adjusts to tank conditions.

+ one on the coloration. The stems also become quite thick and do not want to stay in the substrate. Can be beautiful but not my favorite.

I don't think the Pogo stellatus would work out for my tank, but maybe the Limnophila hippuridoides would. It's just a matter of trial and error, and a matter of actually finding the plant from a reliable salesman.

Not a great picture but this is the colour im starting to get

View attachment 259231
View attachment 259232

Looks awesome!

I just replanted a ton of side shoots off of my Rotala rotundifolia. I expect it to color up even more with the CO2. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419475503.747048.jpg

Also, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas! Have a good one ?

It needs high light to hit the pinks, once it's gets closer to the light it will pink up.. co2 will aid in said growth and overall health.

It needs high light to hit the pinks, once it's gets closer to the light it will pink up.. co2 will aid in said growth and overall health.

That's good. I picked off many new plants from stunted growth (side shoots). Here's what it looked like this past summer: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419476132.069053.jpg

That's not rotala rotundifolia. .

That's not rotala rotundifolia. .

It may not look like it, but it is. It was just converting to my tank's conditions at that time, and it was beginning to form side shoots.

I just replanted a ton of side shoots off of my Rotala rotundifolia. I expect it to color up even more with the CO2. View attachment 259255

Also, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas! Have a good one ?

That looks much nicer than it did 4 days ago. You will have a wall of green along the back in no time.
IMO it would really stand out if you swap out the background with a dark, solid color.

That looks much nicer than it did 4 days ago. You will have a wall of green along the back in no time.
IMO it would really stand out if you swap out the background with a dark, solid color.

Thanks! I was thinking about swapping out the background. Maybe solid black or blue?

Either one. I've not seen too many dark blue backgrounds so that might work well for you. I prefer solid black.

Back
Top Bottom