fishing dying for no reason?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I'm in need for some good help, my 36g bowfront planted tank has been set up for over a year. The past weeks my fast have been doing, the cause is unknown. My water parameters are fine, I lost my golden ram, balloon ram, and right now I just lost my betta. My betta seemed less colored and fat, like bloated. All the other fish wich are tetras are doing fine. I need help.

What are your water parameters? (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). Have you added any stock recently? Has anything about the tank changed since this started happening?

fort384 said:
What are your water parameters? (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). Have you added any stock recently? Has anything about the tank changed since this started happening?

Ph 7.2
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ppm

Temp is 72 degrees, I haven't added any no fish. Only like two days or three days ago I added more floramax, that's it.

The GBRs may have died from the ammonia. IMO they're sensitive to a lot of tihngs, so any signs of ammonia and they'll get sick. In addition I think balloon rams are selectively bred that way but are very sickly and are prone to problems as they mature.
I think your temperature is a little too low for them, they like it around 78-82 F.

All I can say about the betta is poor stock at the store, sorry :(

bruinsbro1997 said:
The GBRs may have died from the ammonia. IMO they're sensitive to a lot of tihngs, so any signs of ammonia and they'll get sick. In addition I think balloon rams are selectively bred that way but are very sickly and are prone to problems as they mature.
I think your temperature is a little too low for them, they like it around 78-82 F.

All I can say about the betta is poor stock at the store, sorry :(

It wasn't a gbr, it was a balloon ram, they look the same but what i heard is that they're completely different. Balloon rams aren't as sensitive, after observing my betta, It's bloated and has its scales sticking out, I think it has dropsy

The best thing to do is an aggressive water change schedule and some really good meds, although I can't suggest any since I've never had dropsy. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best. It is really rare for fish to recover from it once they have it :(

bruinsbro1997 said:
The best thing to do is an aggressive water change schedule and some really good meds, although I can't suggest any since I've never had dropsy. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best. It is really rare for fish to recover from it once they have it :(

Did a water change Thursday, guess I'll do one now, and i don't have meds and the red minor tetra are nipping at it.-.-

Where did you hear that balloon rams aren't as sensitive as regular GBRS?

It's hard to say with rams, I've had many die for unknown reasons, but with all the fish dying in the same time frame I'd think something related to the water.

jetajockey said:

It's hard to say with rams, I've had many die for unknown reasons, but with all the fish dying in the same time frame I'd think something related to the water.

Everywhere and the link that bruins gave me.

Idk what the reason may be, all the other fish are fine.

bruinsbro1997 said:
OOH that's not good. Do you have a spare tank that can be used as a QT for it?

I have a spare tank but don't have the materials for it. It's a 10 gallon and i also have no more room for it.

jetajockey said:

Oh wow, I read that link wrong. I apologize but the person I buy my rams from breeds them and tells me everything about em.

Everywhere and the link that bruins gave me.

Idk what the reason may be, all the other fish are fine.

Actually if you read through the thread I linked you, it said...
Balloon fish are bred intentionally with a deformity to cause the 'balloon' look. This often leads to a more sensitive fish that lives a shorter life. But, blue rams seem to be very very touchy...
So.....:hide:

I have a spare tank but don't have the materials for it. It's a 10 gallon and i also have no more room for it.

That sucks, but if one of your fish has a disease, then all the fish could possibly get it, so it may be a good idea to treat the whole tank too.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Actually if you read through the thread I linked you, it said...

So.....:hide:

That sucks, but if one of your fish has a disease, then all the fish could possibly get it, so it may be a good idea to treat the whole tank too.

Haha I know, my bad jeta, I kinda skimmed but for some reason my balloon ram was very healthy, active, bright colors. I'll see what I can figure out, it may pass, I'll just get another betta I guess. Or wait till I figure out what the problem can be.

Also I have another 10 gallon tank which I hardly do any maintenance on it and the fish are all very healthy.

Had fish with dropsy, it'd be better to get rid of it than try to save it, have to think about the overall health of your aquarium rather than the life of a single fish

Back
Top Bottom