Fishing flies as tank decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc2ped

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am learning fishing fly tying and thought I would tie up something flashy, like a Deceiver, and stick it in my mopani as though someone had been fishing and snagged their hook
My thought was to use all synthetic materials since I felt that they wouldn't break down as quickly as feathers and fur so wouldn't contribute to my nitrogen cycle
But now I am wondering if the synthetics would out gas substances into the tank that might be even more dangerous
The fly fisher persons tell me that the natural materials in their flies don't break down but their flies aren't in the water 24x7 and, if they are doing their job, are replaced before they ever have a chance to rot as fish biting on them tear them up
Materials in a natural fly might include: feathers, fur, hair, Mylar, tungsten beads, wire, nylon thread
Materials in a synthetic fly might include: wire, Mylar, Dacron, Antron, crazy glue, plastic, tungsten beads, brass ball chain, nylon thread

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom