fishing weights safe to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
picked up some completely plastic clips but they don't seem to be heavy enough to sink my cukes. are fishing weights ok or will it leech bad metal stuff into the water?

I don't know I wouldn't risk it but Im interested in finding out something good to use to hold down some drift wood that isn't 100% water logged. I was thinking about finding some good shaped rocks and attaching them with fishing line. but something with a hole in it would be much easier. I also don't want the object holding my driftwood in place visible, don't know if thats an issue with you or not.

i've been wondering about having lead in my tank also. anyone else have anything to say???

I would say no. Better to be safe than risk losing your fish. Lead is nasty stuff.

I put some rocks on a piece of driftwood that wasn't quite waterlogged and just put up with looking at them until the wood sank. You could also screw a piece of slate to the bottom of the wood like the pieces you see at the LFS.

I don't know I wouldn't risk it but Im interested in finding out something good to use to hold down some drift wood that isn't 100% water logged. I was thinking about finding some good shaped rocks and attaching them with fishing line. but something with a hole in it would be much easier. I also don't want the object holding my driftwood in place visible, don't know if thats an issue with you or not.

You can get a slab of slate (some lfs carry it, but not all). The stuff is realitively easy to drill through, then you can mount it to the bottom of the drift wood using brass or stainless steel screws. You then bury the slate under the substraite.

picked up some completely plastic clips but they don't seem to be heavy enough to sink my cukes. are fishing weights ok or will it leech bad metal stuff into the water?

you could get some fishing line and several stainless steel washers from the hardware store, thread washers on the line and the line through the clip.
you can also stick a stainless steel knife/fork into it and use that to sink it.

For now you can take a stainless steel fork and push the handle through it and that will easily hold the cuke down.(I used to use a small fork but have read that it is possible for the fish to snag an eye on the tine)
There is also a product called Screwcumber. a stainless steel corkscrew. I have a few of those now and they work great.
Try other veggies as well, my fish love zuchini and butternut squash as well as the occasion feast of frozen deskinned peas.

Back
Top Bottom