Fishless cycle ammonia help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle6367

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, so I just spent the last 2 hours calling and searching for pure ammonia to cycle my tank with but everywhere I tried all had surfactant in it! :facepalm: I ended up coming home and finding what looks to be an ancient half used bottle of ammonia, stop and shop brand. The ingrediant lists has the following: Ammonium hydroxide solution, Clarifying agent, softened water. I dont know about the clarifying agent, but there is no foam when i shake the bottle. Think this will be safe? I can post a picture of the bottle if that will help.
Thanks

I wouldn't use it if it were me, but that's just my gut feeling. Everyone always says it has to be pure ammonia. This is just how I feel hopefully someone else will chime in.

I honestly dont know either. I know what clarifying agents do (bind small particles in liquid) but I dont know what exactly the clarifying agent is in this product. I would be hesitant to use it without knowing how it may affect your tank. Do you have any Dollar Tree stores near you? Have you tried the Ace Hardware store locator? Alternately, you can try Amazon- they sell the Ace Hardware brand ammonia & a few other brands as well.

i wouldnt use it either, have you tried a dollar store or something of that nature?

I have tried two dollar stores as well as home depot and Lowes... I'm just about out of places... tomorrow I'm going to check a hardware place that I called before. He said there was no ingredient list on the bottle, but it didn't foam when he shook it. Is that the best teat I'd there's no ingredients listed??

Alot of people use raw shrimp , if you do not find pure ammonia you can use it. I have never used it, I always used fish in but I have read alot about shrimp.

How many shrimp for my 55?? Would shrimp be better than just adding my cichlids and doing a fish in cycle? I'm hoping the ammonia tomorrow is the right stuff... I just hate to not have an ingredients list... can't ever be sure there isn't surfactant in it.

That's what I saw on the forums here, but when I called they told me they didn't carry pure ammonia! I might just drive by there tomorrow.

I was pretty surprised as well... I tried Walmart as well, but no luck. I will stop by ace hardware tomorrow just to make sure they don't have it, and I have one other idea. I'd I.can't find it tomorrow I suppose ill be tossing shrimp in the tank. How exactly do you use shrimp to cycle a tank? How many, how long?

Its not technically 'pure' ammonia. It's ammonium hydroxide & water. What you don't want is other stuff such dyes, perfumes or surfectants.

I think that ammonium hydroxide is ammonia in water. It's an ammonia gas dissolved in water.

I was finally able to find some ammonia today! Blue ribbon brand from a hardware store a few towns over... thanks for all the advice everyone!

If you have Ace Hardware nearby, they sell large bottles of pure ammonia with the name of Ace Ammonia Janitorial Strength Formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom