Fishless cycle Oder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Momzy6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I am fishless cycling and it's been 4 years'since I have done a full cycle. On s tank.
My Ammonia level hit 2ppm today how long before I csn chsng water the odor from my 75 gallon is ocer welming.:eggface::eggface:

This will bring yiu uo too speed.
Ok so out of impatience I cleaned my grandsons turtle tank today and poured a bucket of yuckies from there into my tank..Going to wait till morning to see what things look like hoping it kicked off my fishless cycle... I deleted my other post couldn't keep looking at it I really miss my fishes...
So far day one I began with PH 7.6 all other values O
I set up my new filter and put my established plants back in my tank.
I then dumped about 4oz of flourish in the water to make my plants happy :) :)
Followed bye 1/4 cup fish food. (75 gallon tank.) to kick off cycle.
Day 2
Swished all that fish food around in the am. and again in the pm.
AM test
Ammonia .50
PH 7.6
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 5ppm
Tested water a second time in pm
Nitrate 0 other values same as in AM..
Sooo I Added turtle tank gunk...HA... My plants are loving it..
2 hours after pouring in the yuckies I vacuumed the left over fish food on floor of my tank.
I am still waiting for my substrate to arrive.Hoping in comes in tomorrow...
Curious what happens with my cycle over the next few days...
The root system in my amazon sword is huge.

Hello and welcome to AA!
What does the odor smell like? I used pure ammonia for an ammonia source in my last fishless cycle and I don't recall any smell.
Generally you don't change the water unless the nitrites get too high, pH gets too low, or when you are at the end of the cycle to reduce the nitrates.
About the turtle muck... the possibility of introducing a pathogen or parasite (not saying it would) would have me a bit concerned.
You might want to put the fish food in a nylon sock and place it near the filter's current. It might make cleanup a bit easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I never thought of that I was more interested in kicking off my cycle and that's the only other tank in my house . hope I didn't introduce anything...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Day 4 fish less cycle with fishfood

Attachments

• 1471429709595.jpg
    1471429709595.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 53
My tank currently

Attachments

• 1471429798798.jpg
    1471429798798.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 50
This was from about 6 months ago.

Attachments

• 1471429902501.jpg
    1471429902501.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 52
I took the dirt out when I lost my fish. No more walstead method for time being?

Looks like you've got the ammonia up to a decent level. Now the waiting game begins.⏳
That was a very nice sword in the pic. I've never done a dirted tank; the mess that occurs while moving/uprooting plants is a negative for me (although my tank turns to chocolate milk when I do a big rescape).

Also the dirt builds up gas and can kill the fish..No dirt tanks till my life slows down a bit.

Also the dirt builds up gas and can kill the fish..No dirt tanks till my life slows down a bit.

Chopsticks! Folks use chopsticks (or tweezer, kabob sticks) to poke the soil to prevent gas buildup.

Yes and I had stopped doing that . during water changes

GH 16 KH 8 PH 7.4 Amonnia 2ppm
Nitrites 0 Nitrates 0 seachem prime added to protect plecs

GH 16 KH 8 PH 7.4 Amonnia 2ppm
Nitrites 0 Nitrates 0 seachem prime added to protect plecs

There are plecos in this tank? I thought this was a fishless cycle.

Ok so I think I know what happened to my fish . my 9 year old grandson put a baby amazon sword from his turtle tank in my tank. within 1 week of my fish disaster. So on the Brite side no chemicals. I think he unknowingly caused an ammonia spike and or salmonella he had 2 turtles and the small one died it was a wild baby sun turtle. When he took the remaines of the turtle out he also decided he didn't want the plant and dropped it in my fish tank.It came up in random conversation this morning.Anyway the larger turtle had begun eating his remains..If that turtle carried disease . could it have wiped out my whole tank ??

Back
Top Bottom