fishless cycle overdose!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was checking the ammonia in my 20g long that is currently cycling and for the first 2-3 minutes it read 0. So i went and added more (5 ml) of pure ammonia to the tank. Then i checked the test tube again and it read 5ppm, i have some anacharis, and crypts in the tank ATM, will it kill them? And how much ammonia to you advise to add daily? Sorry for all the Qs but i have never fishless cycled.

Thanks

It's best to lower it some because too high of ammonia or nitrites can mess with a cycle, slowing or stalling it even. Honestly in a 20g depending on what stock you want to keep you might only want to dose up to 2 or 3ppm's of ammonia.

It's best to lower it some because too high of ammonia or nitrites can mess with a cycle, slowing or stalling it even. Honestly in a 20g depending on what stock you want to keep you might only want to dose up to 2 or 3ppm's of ammonia.

I want to keep a pair of apistogramma cacatouides, some cories, oto cats, and some tetras. I will do a 10% wc tommarow then

That stock will never produce 4ppm of ammonia daily unless you add tons of tetras and even then I doubt it. So I'd dose up to 3ppm.

That stock will never produce 4ppm of ammonia daily unless you add tons of tetras and even then I doubt it. So I'd dose up to 3ppm.

How many ml is 3 ppm? I was gonna add 4-5 corys, 7-8 small tetras or rasboras, 4 oto cats, and the pair of apistos. Also is there a test i can do to find out how much ammonia will be in 1 drop?

I never do fishless cycling but it doesn't take much. I'd start a new thread and title it "How much ammonia?" Then in the opening post as how many ml of ammonia does it take to dose water up to 3ppm in a fishless cycle.

Back
Top Bottom