fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah this is normal if you seeded your tank or used the bacteria in a bottle stuff (IMO it works half the time). Are you getting sa NITRITE Reading? How are you testing strips or liquid?:)

Yeah this is normal if you seeded your tank or used the bacteria in a bottle stuff (IMO it works half the time). Are you getting sa NITRITE Reading? How are you testing strips or liquid?:)

Yes there are nitrates test with api liquid

orandafan12 said:
Yes i got a filter
nitrites above 5ppm
nitrates 10-20ppm

What I meant was seed material from another tank that brought/added bacteria to this tank.

With ammo at 0ppm and the readings posted above, it sounds like it cycling pretty fast to me, but it's not done yet.

You're doing a fishless cycle, correct?

What I meant was seed material from another tank that brought/added bacteria to your new tank.

With ammo at 0ppm and the readings posted above, it sounds like it cycled pretty fast to me.

You're doing a fishless cycle, correct?

Oh i do not have any.
Yes it was close to zero until i added more and yes it is a fishless cycle

orandafan12 said:
Oh i do not have any.
Yes it was close to zero until i added more and yes it is a fishless cycle

Pretty impressive move in a cycle if all your numbers are right. Keep feeding the bacteria with 1 to 2ppm of ammo every 24 to 36hrs so they don't starve out and keep an eye out for the no2 drop, then you'll be pretty close to being done.

Pretty impressive move in a cycle if all your numbers are right. Keep feeding the bacteria with 1 to 2ppm of ammo every 24 to 36hrs so they don't starve out and keep an eye out for the no2 drop, then you'll be pretty close to being done.

So if my tank is fully cycled both the ammonia and nitites fall to 0 overnight?

orandafan12 said:
So if my tank is fully cycled both the ammonia and nitites fall to 0 overnight?

Once the no2 drops and stays at 0ppm for 24-36hrs, I'd say you're cycled. If the no2 climbs too high, do a PWC to get it down and tests it (and ammo) daily.

Once the no2 drops and stays at 0ppm for 24-36hrs, I'd say you're cycled. If the no2 climbs too high, do a PWC to get it down and tests it (and ammo) daily.

If i do a pwc doesnt that take out the ammo also? So should i just add more

Yep, ammo you can add, but high no2 or no3 can stall your cycle IME. I'd try to get the no2 down around 1-2ppm myself and see if they climb back up, hold or start to drop.

Do i keep adding ammmonia til nitrates go down all the way

orandafan12 said:
Do i keep adding ammmonia til nitrates go down all the way

Sort of, only keep the ammo going to feed the bacteria till the nitrItes (no2) are 0ppm. The nitrAtes (no3) should hover between 5 and 40ppm (20ppm being best) at anytime in the tank (even after it's cycled).

Sort of, only keep the ammo going to feed the bacteria till the nitrItes (no2) are 0ppm. The nitrAtes (no3) should hover between 5 and 40ppm (20ppm being best) at anytime in the tank (even after it's cycled).

i just did 2 35% pwc and it still above 5 ppm

orandafan12 said:
i just did 2 35% pwc and it still above 5 ppm

Generally, I like to do 1 50% PWC than a couple smaller ones. Since the test peaks at 5ppm, I'd suspect that your no2 is way over that and more PWC are in order to bring it down to a readable level.

Back
Top Bottom