Fishless cycle snail appeared in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter1209

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
The strangest thing happened this morning, i found a tiny snail in the tank and its it the middle of a fishless cycle. Its a brand new tank, never had fish in it before and all the decorations, gravel etc are brand new, is this normal and im suprised the little thing is alive with the ammonia at 4ppm and temp up to please the bacteria. The tank is 250L and this thing is tiny, im supprised i was even able to see him. Should I leave him in the tank or take him out?

I also seem to be having some issues with the fishless cycle, after showing nitrite and nitrate off the chart I did a 60% water change, added ammonia back up to 4ppm and a tiny bit of fish food, its now been a week and the ammonia has not dropped at all and there is no nitrate or nitrite in the tank at all, this is very confusing.

img_2418306_0_dc4f259c30adf79a53085dc8c078445d.jpg

img_2418306_1_5a4c2a697dadb51114d4907eee4d139e.jpg

Using the API master test kit and we dont have any real plants in the tank. I really dont know how he has managed to get in there, shall i just leave him be?

The gravel you used, was it wet or dry? Is there anything in there the came from another tank? I would remove him before he cause a pest problem in your tank.

lol removing him could be easier said than done, gotta try and find him again now. I used dry gravel, or at least it was dry and in packaging before washing it and putting it in the tank, there is nothing from another tank, everything is brand new.

Ok I found "Bob" and removed him from the tank (my mrs named him Bob).

Back
Top Bottom