Fishless Cycle Stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I've done four water changes. Is this ok for the fish? I'm in the nitrite peak of my cycle. Just worried it is beginning to get too stressful for them. Gonna add that filter tonight.

Water changes can be stressful but it's better than having them swim in toxins which is more stressful. You're doing well. :)

No wonder!

:facepalm: So, Did six water changes,goldfish is pretty stressed. He accidently got sucked into the syphon. Seems to be ok, but a little tramatized. Test again, and ammonia still at .25. So I decided to test my tap again. Ammonia of my tap, .25! It was zero a couple of weeks ago! What do I do now? Is it ok for it to be .25? I'm really upset that I did so many changes, I hope I haven't hurt my fish. Can't believe it is my tap water.

The current is high in my tank now. What is filter foam and where do I get it?

As long as your using a good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus, the .25 of amm is neglible. The conditioner will bind the amm & convert it to ammonium until it can be processed by your bacteria. No harm to your fish! Just watch for your levels to rise above .25- then it means you need to do a water change. You can find filter foam inserts at any lfs. I use either aquaclear 70 foam inserts & cut a hole down the length in the middle & stick it on the intake tubes or use marineland foam inserts for their canister filters & wrapped them around the intake tubes & tie them on with cable ties or nylon thread. You want the bottom of the intake tube covered with the foam to lessen the suction & provide something to keep your fish from getting stuck if they are not strong swimmers. The foam serves as a futher home for bacteria as well. Your doing a great job taking care of your fish- keep up the good work!!! :)

Sad to report. One of my loaches died last night. Found him this morning. Gold fish is doing great! Very surprising.

RIP Twiddle Dee 2/16/12

HI!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Cycle still going. All fish happy and healthy! I have been doing two water changes a day. One in the morning and one before bed. I also have been putting my Oranda (Bob) in a ziploc bag floating in the aquarium during water changes. He no longer gets stressed out now. I let him acclimate and he is very perky and happy. Loaches are doing great too. I'll post some pics as soon as my camera starts working. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom