Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could someone please direct me to how to do a fishless cycle. Also I have an established tank and I'm going to transfer some of my "old" media to the new tank. When in the process do I need to do that. Also can this "old" bio media go directly into the tank or does it need to go into the sump.

Thanks

What type of filter is the old media coming from and what type of media are you removing?

PsiPro said:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

You can use pure ammonia instead of raw shrimp if you want to start the cycle. And the article is good for FW obviously as well as SW. Good luck!

Add the colonized filter material to your tank at the same time you add the ammonia source.

If you have a filter, add the colonized material to the filter if it will fit. Can you tell us more about the colonized media, and your intended method of filtering the new tank?

Ace hardware sells a "janitorial strenght 10% ammonia cleaner" that can serve as an ammonia source. 0.34 ml is 1 ppm in 10 gals.

Back
Top Bottom