fishless cycling a 55 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geomin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is my first experience with an aquarium. I got a 55 gallon tank, an external 1400l/h filter and a nice black fine volcanic gravel, all second hand. I washed the filter throughly with few dropplets of bleach and vinegar and the rest with tap water. In the filter, I added the sponges (fine and coarse), the ceramic, the bio balls and the active carbon. I Filled the tank with tap water, added the decloronating agent, the bacteria boost liquid, placed the heater, and off I started the fishless cycling.
Two weeks later I tested the water and 0 ammonia and about 20 nitrates, than I realised that I didn't add any organic material at the start of the cycle, so wasn't sure where did the nitrate come from, so I threw about 6 tea spoons of fish food in the tank thinking If my cycling is done, the bacteria should digest this in about 2 weeks, if not, this should be enough to start a cycle.
I did notice a whitish jelly substance on my heater after week 1,this must be organic... Anyway, I'll let you know in 2 weeks. In the meantime, if you think I'am doing something wrong please let me know
Many thanks

What's your source of Ammonia?
The way I did it was, I bought some ammonium hydroxide from a chemical supplier and dosed it to 4 ppm. I strongly advise you to buy API Freshwater Master test kit, if you don' t have one. I added in fish food, 5 pellets at a time(finely grounded) once a week to give the bacteria micro nutrients.

Read this guide:
Really helpful.

Fishless cycling guide

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom