Fishless cycling help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krismic74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've had my 150 gallon up and running for almost 2weeks. Temp around 84, couple of air stones bubbling away, ammonia dosed to about 4ppm. I'm using pure ammonia I found at Ace hardware. I've been testing daily but ammonia level has not dropped at all! I thought surely within 2 weeks it should have started dropping at least a little to where I would need to add a little more ammonia. But nope, has remained steady. I don't have access to any established tank bacteria. I'm so reluctant to do fish in cycling. I planned to have tiger barbs in my tank. Anyone have experience with fish in that did not result in harm to the fish? Frequent water changes is not an issue, I have a sink to tank hose and water changes are virtually painless. My last tank I had was over 12 years ago and I wasn't ver experienced. I managed to cycle with a couple of tin foil barbs. I just did tons of water changes when my ammonia levels appeared too high. The tin foils did fine. They grew so huge I ended up donating them to a fish store as they were way too huge for a 55 gallon tank. Petsmart failed to point that out. Anyway, thoughts, suggestions, experiences? Thanks!

What's your PH? What test kit are you using?

Fish-in cycles are do-able as long as you're dedicated to testing the water daily and doing water changes as needed.

Get some filter media or gravel from another tank that is cycled. This will help getting it going. Just make sure you dont let them dry out before you put it in the tank

I've decided to bite the bullet. I'm emptying out my tank to rid of the household ammonia and using barbs to cycle. I'm already used to testing twice daily and water changes are really easy.

Back
Top Bottom