fishless cycling help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illetrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i started fishless cycling october 18th ( not the 11th like i stated earlier) i got a 90 gallon tank planted. My ammonia is somewhere bt 4.0 and 8.0.( dark green) ph is 7.6 and high its 7.4. Nitrites is 5ppm, and so my nitrates are starting to show now about 5.0ppm. My question is what do i do now? I've read a few articles but im still not understanding much. Do i start with water changes? Do i keep adding ammonia? Can someone please shed some light? thanks, hope to hear from someone.:ermm:

If your ammonia is 4ppm, thats fine. If its closer to 8ppm, do atleast a 50% water change with temp matched, properly conditioned water. Ammonia levels this high can stall your cycle. Are your ammonia levels dropping at all? I suspect they may too high to tell at this point so a water change will definitely help. Then, skip adding ammonia until it drops down to under 1ppm. :)

Thanks guys! About the ph. Should I monitor it after cycling? I always check it when I check my ammonia and trites. I always get that light blue color 7.6
I want to lower it a little. Or should I wait or leave it ?

Illetrop said:
Thanks guys! About the ph. Should I monitor it after cycling? I always check it when I check my ammonia and trites. I always get that light blue color 7.6
I want to lower it a little. Or should I wait or leave it ?

And like you said should I start to see an ammonia drop it hasn't been a full week yet

You have nitrites, so your ammonia is dropping to some degree but I suspect the amount of ammonia right now is too high to be able to detect a drop yet thus a water change is needed. In respect to the ph, you definitely need to keep track of it while cycling. Have you tested your ph with the high range ph test? With the regular ph test, a 'blue' reading can mean your ph is 7.3 or 8.8- you need to check it against the high test for a more accurate reading. There is no need to play around with your ph while fishless cycling unless it starts to crash regularly.

Unless you plan on keeping a difficult/sensitive species of fish, theres no need to alter ph either- most fish are quite adaptable to a range of phs as long as you take the time to properly acclimate them. The only way to truly lower your ph is to cut it with RO water or use only RO- this is another topic altogether. Driftwood/peat moss can also help to lower ph to some degree as well. We dont know what your tanks ph is actually reading right now, especially if there is an excess of ammonia in it (which can bump up the ph too). So, do the wc and check your ph tomorrow using both the high & regular ph tests. :)

jlk said:
You have nitrites, so your ammonia is dropping to some degree but I suspect the amount of ammonia right now is too high to be able to detect a drop yet thus a water change is needed. In respect to the ph, you definitely need to keep track of it while cycling. Have you tested your ph with the high range ph test? With the regular ph test, a 'blue' reading can mean your ph is 7.3 or 8.8- you need to check it against the high test for a more accurate reading. There is no need to play around with your ph while fishless cycling unless it starts to crash regularly.

Unless you plan on keeping a difficult/sensitive species of fish, theres no need to alter ph either- most fish are quite adaptable to a range of phs as long as you take the time to properly acclimate them. The only way to truly lower your ph is to cut it with RO water or use only RO- this is another topic altogether. Driftwood/peat moss can also help to lower ph to some degree as well. We dont know what your tanks ph is actually reading right now, especially if there is an excess of ammonia in it (which can bump up the ph too). So, do the wc and check your ph tomorrow using both the high & regular ph tests. :)

Thanks for the info jlk! Yeah with the high range it's 7.4. Ill test everything again in the am, and do a small water change tomorrow. Plants are already sprouting new stems and leaves. So i must be doin something right lol

So my ammonia was down to 1.0 added few more drops and ill test in a few hrs. Trites where high.

Ok so I recoded this morning. These are my readings. Nitrite 5.0++ , ammonia 4.0, ph7.6 ph high 7.4 , nitrate 10-20 ppm temp is 80 degrees

So my nitrites went down to 2.0 , 0 ammonia and nitrates are up to 80 ppm. Should I just leave it and let it run its corse? I do have some algae popping up here n there.

A drop in nitrites and a raise in nitrate are good signs. You want nitrites to drop to 0. Redose ammonia again at the 24 hour mark and let us know what happens in 24 hours after that.

So. I've been without power since Monday night due to sandy. Not sure if my plants will make it now and might have to start the cycle from scratch. They said we might have power back by sat. Don't know might be too late :(

Have you tested the tank, any changes in levels? Keep the media in the filter wet, don't let it dry out. Agitate the water in the tank every once in a while to promote oxygen exchange. Hopefully the cycle won't be hit too badly but once power starts up again it should bounce back fairly fast as long as the media didn't dry out.

Reactions: jlk
So I think this blackout helped lol. Ammonia 0 trite 0 and trate 80ppm. Water change now I'm guessing? To get the trate down?

Illetrop said:
So I think this blackout helped lol. Ammonia 0 trite 0 and trate 80ppm. Water change now I'm guessing? To get the trate down?

Yes do a water change to get the nitrates down. Hope y'all stay safe & you get power back soon.

You might be cycled but it's best to keep adding ammonia and testing for a few more days to be sure. If ammonia goes to 0 within 24 hours of adding it and nitrites stay at 0 then yes you are cycled. Keep us posted!

So. Getting rest of plants tomm. Added ammonia yesterday. To see if it goes down. Which I'd did to 0. Trites are 0 too. Gonna do another big water change and start stocking fish. :) I got a lot of algae growing on leaves , rocks glass and plumbing. I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom