Fishless Cycling in a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adaptingfate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm getting back into fish-keeping after a few year hiatus. I'm going to be putting together a 75 gallon planted tank for my dad.

I've always done fish-in cycling in the past, but I'd like to try fishless this time around.

What I want to know, is how plants affect the cycling process. Should I wait until the tank is cycled to add plants? Should I add plants first and then start the cycle process?

Yay for your dad! I'd have loved for someone else to do all of the work. LOL. Add plants on day one, they help, some more than others, to cycle a tank & it gives BB another place to grow. Fast growing plants will help more. I'm not a plant expert but I do have them in almost all of my tanks & keep adding more as I go.

Thanks! We used to have a lightly planted 125 gallon that he loved to watch. I'm hoping this will help keep him occupied in his boring retired life! =)

I am also in a cycle now! I am 3wks in and added about 12 plants last week and they really absorbed my nitrates!! They seem to be helping it cycle too!

Back
Top Bottom