fishless cycling journal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
so im getting a 29 gallon high tank tomorrow from craigslist for 40 dollars with everything and am gonna start a journal so i can ask questions and be able to tack down daily readings. wish me luck!

so i just realized.... i dont have anywhere to put my 29 gallon that will hold it.... ugh.. but hopefully i can buy a stand if not ill have to wait until i can get my grandpaw to build one sturdy enough.

does anybody think this would be goos enough to hold a 29 gallon high tank if not could i take a piece of plywood and put it on the inside side of the drawers?
it's made of real wood and is steady. (the ten gallon wont be on there)

Pic0072 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I THINK so. I have my 29 on something very similar. But it's hit and miss...

if i put in the very center i think it'll go bc i mean when you see some stands my desk looks mutch better

That's true. With mine, though, I put it more towards the stronger side, not in the centre.

so today i bought the aquarium brought it home and cleaned the inside pretty good but on the hood where the glass in front of the light there is this crusty stuff like when you leave an aquarium outside and let the water evaporate how can i get this off

what can i use as ammonia that wont cause algae? also i only have an ammonia tester and cant get anything else how can i cycle my aquarium with just an ammonia tester?

Let me answer your cleaning question first. If you can't scrub it off with just water, you can use a VERY diluted bleach solution (just a few drops in water). But then you'd have to rinse it well and do at least a couple water changes before fish.

Anyway, the ammonia you should use to cycle would just be a pure ammonia solution with no surfucants (you can find this at any store in the cleaning aisle). Just make the sure only ingredients are ammonia and water.

You can cycle with just an ammonia tester, but because you won't know when your nitrites have spiked and then gone to zero, you should wait a couple weeks after your ammonia can go from 3ppm to 0 ppm in one day. Continue feeding ammonia each day, but wait a couple weeks while doing this. Then do a large PWC. Then add fish!

However, I would strongly recommend spending a little extra to get the nitrite test as well, if not the nitrate test. You REALLY need to know your nitrite levels, because that can be super harmful to fish. And if you get a stall in your cycle, you won't know...

if im not able to do the ammonia would fish food or algae pellets or even the water from another cycling tank or maybe even the vacumed up fecies work? (see im 14 and my mom and grandparents are getting tired of spending money haha)

pure ammonia will be very inexpensive and the best choice. using fish food is messy and inconsistent at best, not a really good option.

you can use vinegar to clean the tank and equipment, as well. of course take care to rinse extremely well with nice hot water after :)

Back
Top Bottom