Fishless cycling - PH down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThangaMean

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm into the 3rd week of fishless cycling with clear ammonia. I started noticing traces of nitrite last evening .25 ppm. Currently my PH is down to 7 from a high of around 8. Earlier I did do a PWC to bring up PH, before nitrite showed up. However, since there is nitrite already I'm little hesitant to do PWC. Can someone throw light on what to do next or just sit tight?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Mattyfelts for the quick response.

As above, don't get obsessed about Ph whilst cycling but if it drops below 6.5 it can inhibit bacteria growth. This normally is fixed by a partial water change. In my case, as Kh from the tap was near zero, I had to use Bicarb of soda to raise and stabilise Ph. This isn't common though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah sure got the point. I'll keep an eye and do PWC if it goes below 6.5. Thanks.

PH crash

Fishless cycling - After PH went down significantly to less than 6.5 last night, I did a 50% water change. This morning PH was 7.6+, however it is now 6 or less :banghead: I've attached the pictures for reference. Any ideas how this could happen. Also, when I did the water change I forgot to add dechlorinator before I added water. But, I did added it within 5 minutes of completing the water change.:facepalm: Please respond.:confused:

Attachments

• Morning.jpg
    Morning.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Evening.jpg
    Evening.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 62
PH Fixed

hmm I read little bit more and found baking soda is the way to go. I added 4 tea spoons of baking soda to my 29G. Tested after 20 mins and now PH is around 8.:dance: Please check the attached pic and let me know if this is the right way to go in future.

Yellow - before adding baking soda.
Blue - after adding baking soda Low range and it is out of range
Brown - High range PH.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20150210_213002_PH_Raise_SB_4_TSpoons.jpg
    IMG_20150210_213002_PH_Raise_SB_4_TSpoons.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 61
I wouldn't worry about ph to the point of adding anything. it almost always does more harm then good, causing fluctuations

But I read in many places that low PH will stall/ slow down cycling. Isn't that real? or just a theory?

I have never really worried about it to much, use ammonia and let it go. monitor levels. I wouldn't even test ph yet but I might be a wild child

hmm looks like cycling is more of an art than science :confused: anyways thanks for your response :thanks:

Fishless cycling - when to add back ammonia

Now that I see traces of nitrite (y) after 20 days of cycling, here is my next question. I've read several forums where there were suggestions to add back ammonia once it drops down to 1 ppm while some say wait until it becomes Zero.:confused: Any opinions from the experts?!:thanks:

I have never really worried about it to much, use ammonia and let it go. monitor levels. I wouldn't even test ph yet but I might be a wild child

Bacteria slows down in growth at around 6.8pH and stops growing completely at 6.5 it's imperative to keep it a over that if you want to ever complete your cycle.
Now that I see traces of nitrite (y) after 20 days of cycling, here is my next question. I've read several forums where there were suggestions to add back ammonia once it drops down to 1 ppm while some say wait until it becomes Zero.:confused: Any opinions from the experts?!:thanks:

You can, its not super important either way.

Cool as ever, its an adventure every time!!! Thanks Mebbid

Back
Top Bottom